Wet Woodies.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
A few more woodies from norfolk. It was a bit of a wet entry into the big wide world for this latest clutch - It had been a nice day until mid afternoon when we had a big storm. Rain, hail, thunder and lightning. And then the woodies decided to leave their nest. The adults can quite easily feed in the rain without getting too wet, but the fledglings have not mastered that yet.....

Here are the first of a few pics from the 500 or so I took this afternoon: Quality is not too hot as it was quite dark, wet and all shots were handheld from my kitchen doorway. (Although the adults tolerate me being near them while they are feeding, and I knew the younsters couldn't care less, I always try to keep well away from the younsters so they DO NOT get used to humans.)

Dad stays in the dry while junior gets wet....
2581869980_34856a6624_o.jpg

Dad moves into position while junior tries lichen for lunch....
2581042655_2c154bf1f6_o.jpg

Both have a look round for sparrowhawks or photographers...
2581043531_ac9161b722_o.jpg

Hurry up Dad, I'm hungry!
2581873062_6f54b64ddb_o.jpg

Dad, I'm REALY hungry now!
2581875804_1305e9f767_o.jpg

Here you go (now b****y well hurry up and learn how to do this yourself!)
2581048703_4f6fdb1c86_o.jpg

Excellent sequence

Thank you. I stood and watched them from ten past until half past four this afternoon, and took 400 or so pics, then I left them to it. After a while the younster got the hang of feeding on the peanuts on his own. After it had a feed the father moved the little un away from the nuts and started to show it how to look for insects etc in the cracks in the tree...

Last edited:
Actually the woodies took me by suprise.......I was waiting for the sparrows to fledge (in the nest box above the woodies) They look ready, and mum keeps trying to entice them out, but they are still in there.....

2581228479_3933b104c5_o.jpg

It has actually been a busy weekend, with young woodies, goldies, bluetits, blackbirds and starlings all deciding to fledge at the same time! More pics to follow, but this pc is so slow at processing the raw files.....

Back