What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

GSC_7780 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Little fledgling Robin is turning into an adult now with it's red feathers coming through.
GSC_7757 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
And a new adult that has started visiting - annoyingly a blade of grass got in the way
GSC_7747 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Two Great Tit siblings are still begging their parents for food even although they have been feeding themselves fine!!
GSC_7658 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Collared Dove enjoying some suet pellets

I was trying to take a picture of a reed bed, and it gets ruined by these ( drab) interlopers!

129A2296.jpg

And then photo bombed by a male posing as a female ... It just wasn't my day ;)

129A2301.jpg

I was trying to take a picture of a reed bed, and it gets ruined by these ( drab) interlopers!

View attachment 106313

Got a small family of Canada Geese who run to the hide whenever I'm there first in the morning ... great splashing across the lake, up on the grass then running and shouting for food, they haven't worked out yet that I don't bring food with me! :)

Willow Warbler

Willow Warbler by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Lovely shot Mick. So detailed, I can even see the hairs on the stock of the plant your bird is holding on to.

Lately I've just been seeing Robin's and Wrens when I go into the wilderness. Saying that I'm always on the move. Do you stake them out and lay in wait for them? Looks like your well camouflaged. Have you changed your forum name rofl

Last edited:
Managed to get under the cliffs at low tide this weekend at Flamborough, it was certainly a different pov being under the Puffins instead of above.

Was a little disappointed with me efforts tbh but they do fly at supersonic speeds!! :D

Got one or two keepers, this ones nothing special but I kind of liked the messy bg for a change

Puffin resized.jpg

Lovely shot Mick. So detailed, I can even see the hairs on the stock of the plant your bird is holding on to.

Lately I've just been seeing Robin's and Wrens when I go into the wilderness. Saying that I'm always on the move. Do you stake them out and lay in wait for them? Looks like your well camouflaged. Have you changed your forum name rofl

Thank's Gil!

Some birds I do wait for depending on location but this was on just a walk around of one of the local parks and took @840mm (600mm F4 and 1.4TC attached) I was actually on my way to photograph something else which needed the teleconverter on but spotted this on my way :)

Yes I do wear camo a lot of people scoff but it really does help, I have had wrens and other small birds land inches away before now when I am lurking in wait for something lol!

A hot Robin trying to cool down... at least that's what I think it was doing..

robin-0244.jpg

A hot Robin trying to cool down... at least that's what I think it was doing..

It is thought that the sun helps with oiling the feathers and the dispersal of parasites. :)

It is thought that the sun helps with oiling the feathers and the dispersal of parasites. :)
Not sure if I'm teaching you to suck eggs or not Roger, sorry if I am, but all ( there maybe exceptions )
birds have a Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland). During preening, birds gather oily secretions from it, ( it looks like a little teat) the gland is just above the tail.
And then they spread it about.

Obviously the preening also helps with the removal of parasites (y)

Last edited:
It is thought that the sun helps with oiling the feathers…

Yes, it does!

When water birds spread that Uropygial Gland secretion over
their plumage, they do so rather roughly and the Sun's heat
will do the very fine work. I am not aware though that all birds
have that gland. As for the parasites, I have yet no information.

Not sure if I'm teaching you to suck eggs or not Roger, sorry if I am, but all ( there maybe exceptions )
birds have a Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland). During preening, birds gather oily secretions from it, ( it looks like a little teat) the gland is just above the tail.
And then they spread it about.

Obviously the preening also helps with the removal of parasites (y)

Yes, it does!

When water birds spread that Uropygial Gland secretion over
their plumage, they do so rather roughly and the Sun's heat
will do the very fine work. I am not aware though that all birds
have that gland. As for the parasites, I have yet no information.

Indeed, I assume (and read) that the sun, by warming the secreted and distributed oil, aids its distribution throughout the feathers

Very nice, Roger. Lovely little bird. I've been away photographing a steam loco and very busy at home hence the delay in seeing it. Nice video too.. Was it quite close to the hide ?

I got caught out with the thread you've put it in,usually 'Birds'. My Alert took me straight to your photo then I saw the swallows and thought it odd it should be in your LRP thread.. Hey-Ho..:banghead: I'lll just keep taking the tablets..Lol.

A little taster of the Little Ringed Plover

Hi Roger, if you call your post a Little Ringed Plover,
what would you call this then?

D3653%201Dpp.jpg

Hi Roger, if you call your post a Little Ringed Plover,
what would you call this then?

D3653%201Dpp.jpg

Also a Little Ringed Plover, Daniel but in better light and an adult, whereas mine may be a juvenile :)

Last edited:
Why are they so different?

I edited my post but not quickly enough ... I think mine is actually a juvenile, hence the more muted colour and eye-ring but also shooting against significant bright light.
Definitely both are Little R\inged Plovers. :)

Back