What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A Red Kite at Nant Yr Arian yesterday. My first trip there with a camera, the number of Kites was overwhelming

dsc_7756.jpg

You'd think this was a multi exposure there were so many trying to get to the food.

dsc_7741-edit.jpg

I saw quite a few birds today, but the light was dismal. I took a few photographs (which are still on the SD card) but I am not expecting very much from them.

something odd with the LTT shots did you mask to reduce background impact?

I was just looking at Martins shots when you posted Roger, .........:thinking:....can't see a great deal wrong with them meself, possibly a tad over sharpened on the 2nd LTT :confused:

Lovely Thrush, something odd with the LTT shots did you mask to reduce background impact?
Nope, the first I reduced some of the highlights in the background (yellow leaf on right) and the whiteness of the broken twig it decided to sit on, there is a fair bit of noise as ISO 4000 which might be it. The second looks similar to the RAW file but slightly cropped to get rid of twig clutter. The background on the second was way off and the bird has high contrast against it, f7.1 with 500mm gives very little DOF at minimal focus distance of 4.5-5m hence the tail is even out of focus.

I was just looking at Martins shots when you posted Roger, .........:thinking:....can't see a great deal wrong with them meself, possibly a tad over sharpened on the 2nd LTT :confused:
I don't think I sharpened this one at all if I did it would have only been +5 in lightroom as I rarely go over that anyway. I usually only play with sharpening when printing photos.

One from me from yesterday. This is a huge crop and I had maybe a second to guess the shutter speed/focus etc before it flew away so I know it is not the best image. Would appreciate an ID if anyone knows what this is ? For context it was shot about a mile from Mam Tor in Derbyshire.

_DSC2942c by gazzer48, on Flickr

Male Stonechat Gary,

Looking again I would say male juvenile :)

Last edited:
Been for a good moorland walk today above Widdop Reservoir, part of the Pennine Way near Hebden Bridge.

Loads about but all at distance, including a pair of Ravens.

SOOC but heavily cropped to 1/16th of the original, that's about 7%. Was pleased to see these, not exactly rare in our area but not common either :)

1024 2.jpg

Back