What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Not been taking pictures just lately but I have been popping in to check up on you lot over the last couple of months. :sneaky:

Went out Christmas day in hope of catching the Penduline tit in Gloucester but it let me down so I had another go today. (y)

Bit of a hefty crop though

Penduline tit (female)
by GaseousClay1, on Flickr

and a Stonechat for good measure :)

Stonechat
by GaseousClay1, on Flickr

A test at ISO 12800 (D500 + 200-500) 500mm 1/800 f5.6 - noise reduction and sharpening applied.
A fairly distant shot.

View attachment 117312

And a very nice shot too. Nice and clean. My 200-500 arrives next week. Hope I can replicate your results with it!!

Trying out my new 200-500 for the first day today. Really enjoyed it.

HSC_6366-2.jpg

200mm f5.6 ISO 400

HSC_6510-Edit.jpg

460mm f8 ISO 3600

HSC_6443-Edit.jpg

200mm f5.6 ISO 3200

Last edited:
Trying out my new 200-500 for the first day today. Really enjoyed it.
I think you have a "Winner" there Gil (y)

Love the "I ate all the pies" Robin :)

Fantastic shots gramps. What f stop do you use for groups of birds. Love your spot the spotted redshank. All the birds are facing the same way :)
Thanks Gil, that one was at f5 ... the 500 f4 is pretty sharp wide open so doesn't need much if any stopping down. :)

Some nice images there Roger. Golden Plover shot IQ isn't the best though, is it a huge crop?

Taken with 500mm F4 or the 200-500?
Thanks Wez, these were with the 500 as the 200-500 hire has expired ... this was a huge crop, which given the light again today I am surprised was even usable. :)

:D

Cracking set Roger (y)
Cheers Chris :)

Like the flock shot (y)

Shame you're selling your 500mm, I would've had it from you had the funds been available!

It is a shame Wez as it's a really great lens but a big lump of glass to carry around at my age :(
Having looked at lots of others which have been on sale over recent months eBay, Ffordes, MPB the only way to get a better example would be to buy brand new. :)

Is there no sun in this bloody country ? :(

Not the best, more record shots, as I'm quite pleased tbh, after setting up various feeding points and supplying a
wide range of food, some weeks ago, its been nothing but pigeons and magpies.
The last couple of days, a sparrow (?) Pied wagtail and now a pair of these :)

Chaff..jpg

I've got my eye on you

dove.jpg

Well at least he took her out to lunch first ;)

dove1.jpg

Is there no sun in this bloody country ? :(

Not the best, more record shots, as I'm quite pleased tbh, after setting up various feeding points and supplying a
wide range of food, some weeks ago, its been nothing but pigeons and magpies.
The last couple of days, a sparrow (?) Pied wagtail and now a pair of these :)

View attachment 117765

I've got my eye on you

View attachment 117766

Well at least he took her out to lunch first ;)

View attachment 117767

No sun up my way either! Cheesed off with it!

Also from today, a humble robin. A shame the poor light and high ISO has killed a lot of the feather detail because it was very close.

Poor light has been a curse for a while now but it's a nice photo of a much loved bird. :)

Fur is certainly easier to capture than feather, especially in low light and through glass :(

wag.jpg

wag1.jpg

Back