What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Ooooooh, red kite, nice. Probably my fave bird both for beauty, grace and personal sentiment.

Saw a few last weekend down in Dumfries, good to see them so plentiful.

HSC_6551.jpg

Anybody know what bird this is?

HSC_6575.jpg

Oystercatcher f5.6 ISO 1400 @ 500mm

HSC_6639-Edit.jpg

Face-to-face f8 1/400 ISO 3600 @ 450mm

I doubt that he could get much more in his gob :D

(Oh and when the sun shines I might even find this easier :D )

129A3651.jpg

well today ambling along when spotted a heron sitting on the edge of the walkway on the fence just in front of me got such a fright! Anyway had camera in hand so snapped a few however due to the sun shining on him (or her) they are really over exposed on the feathers on the front - the ones I zoomed in aren't quite as bad. (If anyone feels the urge to try and sort one of the full length ones please say and I'll gladly send you the raw file)

heron1rs.jpg

A fantastic day out today in the snow. Discovered a new area near my brothers place. Thoroughly enjoyed exploring whilst getting to grips with my new lens. Does anybody know if VR on fast shutter speed can cause what looks like motion blur?

Here's my best ones.

HSC_6705-Edit.jpg

HSC_6727-Edit.jpg

HSC_6765-Edit.jpg

HSC_7154.jpg

HSC_6860.jpg

HSC_6918.jpg

HSC_6988.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it Gil, what shutter speed?

Was shooting at 1/1250 on a buzzard in flight - maybe just not fast enough!! Lots of throw away shots :-( and I think I was overexposing too at +2 stops on the +/- compensation

Last edited:
Was shooting at 1/1250 on a buzzard in flight - maybe just not fast enough!! Lots of throw away shots :-( and I think I was overexposing too at +2 stops on the +/- compensation
1/1250 should be okay, the higher the better for BIF though.

A fantastic day out today in the snow. Discovered a new area near my brothers place. Thoroughly enjoyed exploring whilst getting to grips with my new lens. Does anybody know if VR on fast shutter speed can cause what looks like motion blur?

Here's my best ones.

HSC_6705-Edit.jpg

HSC_6727-Edit.jpg

HSC_6765-Edit.jpg

HSC_7154.jpg

HSC_6860.jpg

HSC_6918.jpg

HSC_6988.jpg

That question can be a bit of a can of worms question like the UV filter or not.i tested my Tamron 150-600 with VR on upto 1/4000th and it was ok but i do think it depends on your lens.
The other thing is in a fast moving situation with fast shutter speeds its possible to take your picture before the VR has settled which obviously is not good.
Try to do your own tests.

Last edited:
As the snow fly's ....

1.jpg

2.jpg

Not a terribly exciting subject, I know, but its all good practice :D

A couple more free-loaders shot through the artic conditions :D
Canon 520 hs power shot, at some ridiculous zoom factor or another.
And not bad for 1600 iso I thought. May as well bin the 7dII :D

Birds-21-1-18-037.jpg

chaff.jpg

Is that a "dew drop" I spy? :D

Lovely image Roger, water beading and all (y)

Thanks Chris, interestingly called a 'Black-necked Swan' ... I would have thought 'Red Nosed' would be far more appropriate. :D

interestingly called a 'Black-necked Swan' ... I would have thought 'Red Nosed' would be far more appropriate. :D
That also makes perfect sense to me Roger, but then I'm not a taxonomist :D

Back