What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I stopped the car in a car park on the way to an appointment, to get a bottle of water out of the boot, I heard the familiar call so got the camera out of the bag, out popper Mr Goldcrest so I fired off a few shots with his back to me and crest up before he flew off. The reason I take a camera everywhere.

Goldcrest
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

I stopped the car in a car park on the way to an appointment, to get a bottle of water out of the boot, I heard the familiar call so got the camera out of the bag, out popper Mr Goldcrest so I fired off a few shots with his back to me and crest up before he flew off. The reason I take a camera everywhere.

Goldcrest

Beautiful shot even looking away from you ... wish they would suddenly pop up for me, they usually dash behind a twig or a leaf! :(

Beautiful shot even looking away from you ... wish they would suddenly pop up for me, they usually dash behind a twig or a leaf! :(
lol and thanks.

I have more luck in car parks and on footpaths than anywhere else, I guess they get used to people passing by, since trying to get photos of them over the last few months I have really tuned into their call and I guess I hear one or see one most days whilst walking my dogs. Firecrest's are another story as I have only ever seen 2.

Goldcrest

absolutely beautiful Martin - good thing with it facing away is that you get a good shot of the yellow on the head

Goldcrest

That's a wonderful shot. Why in this forum,though and not the main one 'Birds'.? I often forget to look here, so I suspect others do too.

That's a wonderful shot. Why in this forum,though and not the main one 'Birds'.? I often forget to look here, so I suspect others do too.

I like posting here as I am not a birder really and mostly just get grab shots. The main forum has its issues and I only post there with a set of pictures for critique. You should visit here more often as some great daily posts.

I like posting here as I am not a birder really and mostly just get grab shots. The main forum has its issues and I only post there with a set of pictures for critique. You should visit here more often as some great daily posts.

Ah, yes,point taken. I'll definitely check here in future. :)

There are two hides at Oare. Once you drive down the country lane and reach the lake on your right, you can park there, view the lake, then visit the hide which is over to your right. Then drive down to the ' car park ' , go onto the sea wall and turn right. You can see the hide along the river in the distance. Some good landscape shots there too. Happy birding.

So, not today I confess, but a couple of weeks ago while on holiday in Thailand:

Common Mynah - there were a pair of these almost resident at our villa, but getting a shot proved harder than expected.

DSCF0221 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Cattle Egret - From what I could see online, this is the only type of Egret in Thailand, so I'm guessing that it's right. This one was a regular visitor to the marshy land behind the villa.

DSCF0203 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Never seen a Treecreeper until last week, today saw my second one.
You've done well Gary, Treecreepers are never the easiest bird to photograph (y)

Goldcrest on the grass.
A more unusual shot of the Goldcrest gramps, not very often you see them on the floor, and get chance of a shot :)

A more unusual shot of the Goldcrest gramps, not very often you see them on the floor, and get chance of a shot :)
Like you I was very surprised to see it on the grass, as I caught sight of it out of the corner of my eye I thought it was a Wren that I had seen in previous weeks ... it stayed on the grass for sometime and made two separate visits. :)

Its in there somewhere !

129A3693.jpg

Ah yes there it is !

129A3692.jpg

I took advantage of the blazing sunshine yesterday for a little practice..
You can see the suns rays beating down, and the beads of pure sunshine on its back :D

129A3701.jpg

There are two hides at Oare. Once you drive down the country lane and reach the lake on your right, you can park there, view the lake, then visit the hide which is over to your right. Then drive down to the ' car park ' , go onto the sea wall and turn right. You can see the hide along the river in the distance. Some good landscape shots there too. Happy birding.

Thank you for the tips, I'll definitely be over there at some point (y)

Back