What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

No picture unfortunately, but I did get to see the "Little Bunting" that was showing at Whalthamstow Wetlands this afternoon. First visit as well, but didn't get to see the Linnets...

Had 3 Goldfinches on a feeder earlier today so grabbed the camera with the longest lens on it (Fuji X-T2 with the 100-400 and 1.4x telecon so 560mm) and fired off a few shots. Such a shame that the last time it was used was on the Moon so it was set to ISO 200, giving me a SS of 1/15th... The OIS is pretty damn good but not good enough to freeze the birds' movement! Got some nice poses too, albeit on a feeder.

@michael23

Hiya Michael, I know this is a none critique thread but I couldn't help having a quick edit of your lovely Barn Owl shot perched on the post.

Just say if you'd like it took down but I thought it looked better with the back ground noise reduced, made the bird pop a little more, great shot :)

39436167715_afffa3fd39_c nr ss.jpg

@michael23

Hiya Michael, I know this is a none critique thread but I couldn't help having a quick edit of your lovely Barn Owl shot perched on the post.

Just say if you'd like it took down but I thought it looked better with the back ground noise reduced, made the bird pop a little more, great shot :)

View attachment 120656

Hi Phil, that's ok, it does make a difference, I honestly can't remember if I did any nr on that one, i use dfine in the nik programme on default, never experimented much with it. What software did you use?

i use dfine in the nik programme on default, never experimented much with it. What software did you use?

That's what I use Michael, I have it as an add on to Elements 14.

The best technique I've found to 'clean up' back ground noise is to choose a small soft edge brush, zoom in on the image and carefully skirt round the bird. Doing it this way reduces NR bleed on to the bird. Then zoom back out, enlarge brush and do the rest of the bg.

I normally reduce by around 80% but went to full 100% reduction on this shot :)

That's what I use Michael, I have it as an add on to Elements 14.

The best technique I've found to 'clean up' back ground noise is to choose a small soft edge brush, zoom in on the image and carefully skirt round the bird. Doing it this way reduces NR bleed on to the bird. Then zoom back out, enlarge brush and do the rest of the bg.

I normally reduce by around 80% but went to full 100% reduction on this shot :)

it was iso 8000..
thanks for the info Phil, I shall have a look at the software again and have another play and see if I can work it out...

it was iso 8000..
thanks for the info Phil, I shall have a look at the software again and have another play and see if I can work it out...

I noticed ISO 8000 I was quite impressed for a Canon :angelic::D

Its quite easy to use, its more the technique and how you 'clean' the shot up that needs a little practise, happy to help, just ask :)

I had these two flying circles, ups and downs round me for 1/2 hour yesterday and still only got 3 shots with them both in the frame as they were so quick and unfortunately however good the image quality on the Sigma 150-600C is the focus speed was not up to keeping up. Great fun trying and awesome to watch and listen to as the called to each other.

Pair of Kestrels
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

One on its own when it was checking me out

Kestrel

And no trip out is worth taking without one of my faves. I had to use the pop up flash on my 7Dii to get some light, still surprised how well it works even with 600mm lens up front.

Goldcrest

Back