What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I thought I had stumbled on a Tawney Owl at first so a very disappointing photo of a duck.

Nothing disappointing about the shot Martin, not many on here have such a photograph :)

For your image to show here you need to click the arrow to the lower right of it on Flickr. Then go to BBcode on the end of the pop up, copy the code at medium/large and paste it here ;)

Edited :) I added it via my mobile - Flickr options on the mobile are not as helpful.

The starlings have found the fat balls, hard to shoot yesterday in the wet, weather, not much light
Having to keep the pigeons away as they just land on the top and shake everything so the seed falls to the ground where they can feed, but it almost knocks over the feeding station

IMG_8141.jpg
IMG_8144.jpg IMG_8148.jpg

I got this landing Great Egret…

A4032%2051D.jpg

I don't know, Fred, or is it Harry? (Sorry Kodiak, not sure what I was on when I wrote that!!)

… as long as you don't think Roberta or Denise!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::wacky:

Not today but from Sunday. It usually takes me several days to finish the editing.
One from a rather dull Slimbridge. I struggle with some birds in bright, high contrast conditions and the dull light helped tame the highlights/shadows, but then it's hard to make the bird 'pop'. Swings and roundabouts........... The pintails were quite obliging. Since the reflections weren't up to much I'm not berating myself for chopping a bit off it, as I normally would.

Pintail by Jannyfox, on Flickr

The pintails were quite obliging.

…very jealous of such take of the Pintail… never got one so close.

I note that you did not apply DRL as first step in PP with the consé-
quence of a flat rendition having little micro contrast, easy to tweak.

…very jealous of such take of the Pintail… never got one so close.

I note that you did not apply DRL as first step in PP with the consé-
quence of a flat rendition having little micro contrast, easy to tweak.

It's had as much pp as I was willing to give it, Daniel. Yes it does look a bit flat, but the light was very dull and flat. I've no doubt I could take it further, but at the risk of making it unnatural. Where wildlife is concerned I prefer to keep things as they were.

Where wildlife is concerned I prefer to keep things as they were.

Me too Jan but the histogram is the tool
that will get you there and safe.

Maybe appropriate to give a reminder that this forum is not generally for crit but casual posting of bird images.

Where wildlife is concerned I prefer to keep things as they were.
Gotta agree there Jan, nothing worse than a heavily processed image of a bird, that makes it look artificial coloured or in the case of water birds, sitting on un naturally coloured water.

Yep, use that histogram all the time.
I ran it through the histogram to, and yes you could brighten it up, but if thats not what you saw, then there is no point is there?

Maybe appropriate to give a reminder that this forum is not generally for crit but casual posting of bird images.
You just beat me to it Roger Thanks (y)

This part of the forum has been for everyone to post their bird images without the need to worry about others commenting about the PP or photographic skills and as such it encourages all to post freely and without reservation. It would be a shame if one person caused others to stop posting by breaking this 'tradition'.

Quotes from the opening post from the thread started

a little background and habitat would be interesting …… to encourage everyone to post and to get more people involved
you can critique the images if you feel like it, but that's not really the purpose
The bits in bold are the most relevant.
There are plenty of other threads out there where people welcome / ask for critique.
And that can get heated.
As for this thread, its akin to a nice friendly fire-side "chat"
AKA you show me your's and I'll show you mine. (y)

Quotes from the opening post from the thread started

The bits in bold are the most relevant.
There are plenty of other threads out there where people welcome / ask for critique.
And that can get heated.
As for this thread, its akin to a nice friendly fire-side "chat"
AKA you show me your's and I'll show you mine. (y)

And that's why the pintail is here and not in a thread of its own where crit would be welcome and valued

Back to the bird pictures.

The blue tits are back. One is very picky, sits on the seed feeder for ages throwing seed out onto the floor until it gets to the particular seed it wants

IMG_8154.jpg
IMG_8166.jpg
IMG_8178.jpg
IMG_8180.jpg
IMG_8188.jpg

All taken through windows in the cabin in the back garden, which I need to clean

Back