What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Not the prettiest of settings :D but excellent to see these 3 Barn Owls out together.

Because of where the nest site is, I can't be sure if all 3 are Juveniles or just 2 and one is an adult.

Juv Barn Owls.jpg

A rather strange looking mallard hybrid duckling - at least I think that's what it is

hybrid-mallard-1460.jpg

And a Lesser Black Backed Gull that came for a drink

lesser-black-backed-gull-1478.jpg

Taken over the week in the garden. Too hot to go anywhere else..

Maybe this juvenile magpie thinks it's a cormorant. One sibling found a morsel and brought it to the bird bath to soften it.

w8ayp3.jpg

10mrkew.jpg

I think they usually moult in August when it's hot, as it's very hot now maybe it's done it early or has feather mites .
x5yxpg.jpg

The bird bath was a busy location. Often two of these goldfinches came to it together but always a fleeting visit,then off.
15i2ih1.jpg

2e658o8.jpg

Infront of a Hydrangea
1z4dd01.jpg

I'm amazed at the size of the fish they get down in one,Russ. They're huge. Excellent set.

They're spoiling you! :D

I know (insert smug emotion here) :p

Its been a great year for our local owls Roger, both the weather and a bumper vole year has seen them all do well. LEO's, shorties and Barn owls have all had a record breeding season, which is excellent news.

This year I've spent quite a few evenings out with our local bird recorder, its meant the photography side has taken a back seat but its been great visiting so many nest sites, cheers

I know (insert smug emotion here) :p

Its been a great year for our local owls Roger, both the weather and a bumper vole year has seen them all do well. LEO's, shorties and Barn owls have all had a record breeding season, which is excellent news.

This year I've spent quite a few evenings out with our local bird recorder, its meant the photography side has taken a back seat but its been great visiting so many nest sites, cheers

Great news ... I actually had a SEO flypast a few weeks back!

On the old mill lodge just around the corner from my house. It's a regular visitor so is used to people, so I didn't even need my big Sigma (which was lucky as I didn't have it with me) and were taken from about 8-9ft away using my Canon 24-105mm f4

heron-2360.jpg

heron-2364.jpg

On the old mill lodge just around the corner from my house. It's a regular visitor so is used to people, so I didn't even need my big Sigma (which was lucky as I didn't have it with me) and were taken from about 8-9ft away using my Canon 24-105mm f4

heron-2360.jpg

heron-2364.jpg

The 2nd image is a cracking shot!

Thanks Malcolm, if I got a little bit too close it would do one of these little hops and go about 5-6ft further down.

Back