What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A greylag from yesterday at Slimbridge. It was only in the late afternoon that there was a glimpse of good light but I do more watching than photography anyway. The real highlight of the day was watching a stoat bowling around, flushing a rabbit from the hedge which the stoat looked at, ignored and raced off somewhere else. No photos but it was a joy to watch.

Greylag goose by Jannyfox, on Flickr

A greylag from yesterday at Slimbridge. It was only in the late afternoon that there was a glimpse of good light but I do more watching than photography anyway. The real highlight of the day was watching a stoat bowling around, flushing a rabbit from the hedge which the stoat looked at, ignored and raced off somewhere else. No photos but it was a joy to watch.

Greylag goose by Jannyfox, on Flickr

Great to see the Stoat Jan ... I've been looking for it around the Martin Smith hide for a couple of weeks (where it's been seen) but it obviously knows and is hiding from me! :D

Great to see the Stoat Jan ... I've been looking for it around the Martin Smith hide for a couple of weeks (where it's been seen) but it obviously knows and is hiding from me! :D

It's either a different stoat or it really has been trying to avoid you Roger. This was at the Holden Tower. My partner saw first it slithering down from the top of the bank to the left of the walkway out to the estuary. It ran about a bit, went into the hedge along the edge of the walkway, pushed a rabbit out (at that point we were thinking there was going to be some real action but no), they eyed each other up then rabbit ran back into the hedge, stoat ran around a bit more and was last seen heading south at speed along the bottom of the bank behind the pool. At first we thought stoat or weasel but when it was charging around the dark tip to the tail was obvious.

It's either a different stoat or it really has been trying to avoid you Roger. This was at the Holden Tower. My partner saw first it slithering down from the top of the bank to the left of the walkway out to the estuary. It ran about a bit, went into the hedge along the edge of the walkway, pushed a rabbit out (at that point we were thinking there was going to be some real action but no), they eyed each other up then rabbit ran back into the hedge, stoat ran around a bit more and was last seen heading south at speed along the bottom of the bank behind the pool. At first we thought stoat or weasel but when it was charging around the dark tip to the tail was obvious.

A great sight Jan ... I've seen one there once but not such a good sightig as yours. :)

I was taking sunrise pictures at Stanage and these two noisy sods photobombed me.

30145995757_ce59a8379b_b.jpg

Kareless Kessie :D

I spotted this in the Tiger enclosure at ZSL
Does that make it captive? :D

129A4228.jpg

Last edited:
A couple from Flamboro' yesterday

Turnstone

Turnstone.jpg

Not what I was expecting, a Whooper Swan flying past the Outerhead!

Whooper 1024.jpg

And not what the Rock pipit was expecting, a wave! :D

Rock pipit 1024.jpg

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/2bJbmpJ' said:
45109572832_4eb72af041_c.jpg
Southern Migrant Hawker[/URL] by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr
I believe the dragonfly ito be a Southern Migrant Hawker but I stand to be corrected.

That's a Migrant Hawker. The Southern Migrant is very rare it is all blue and the markings down the back are different also only found in Kent and Essex during July and August and your photo was taken in October
The most striking difference is the eye colour the Southerns are really bright blue. This is a Southern Migrant taken in July in Kent.

Southern Migrant Hawker
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Yesterday morning I found a collared dove in the back garden that had fallen victim to a sparrowhawk. I'd been outside an hour earlier so didn't miss it by much. 2 kills had happened in my garden in the summer while we out but so far I'd never actually seen one.

This morning it was back and made its second kill in the same spot in 24 hours, and this time I did see it.

Back