What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

The young ones

47842803031_6a10d5ab8c_b.jpg

40875993413_cc9bc8e939_b.jpg

32898780357_296f1be1f1_b.jpg

Wonderful

Lesser Black-backed Gull with baby food

I've phptographed big gulls eating ducklings, and I always wonder wether I should post them or not, as I've had people posting that I should have done something to stop it...

Cockerel, spotted at Embsay Steam Railway, I always have bird seed with me, not sure if this should have gone in macro or close up...

feathers-7628.jpg

So while it was busy eating seeds I liked this rather abstract pattern from it's feathers.

I've phptographed big gulls eating ducklings, and I always wonder wether I should post them or not, as I've had people posting that I should have done something to stop it...
It's a part of life for birds (and other wildlife) at this time of year and there is rarely the opportunity to stop it. A failed 'kill' will generally lead to an injured victim who either dies through being unable to care for itself or falls victim to another predator. In this instance the gull was on the opposite side of the lake and there was nothing I could have done about it even had I felt the need to do so. :)

as I've had people posting that I should have done something to stop it...
A failed 'kill' will generally lead to an injured victim who either dies through being unable to care for itself or falls victim to another predator.
Exactly as Roger says (y)
As someone that has been up close and personal ( :D ) with a lot of gull species that beak is a pretty effective weapon.
Once a chick has been grabbed there is little chance of survival, even if the gull can be persuaded to drop it.

I watched a Grey Heron wander through a colony of nesting Black-headed Gulls eating young while standing next to the head warden. His response was that he hoped the Heron missed the Mediterranean Gull nests that were amongst the Black-headed Gull nests.

On my feeder usually overlooking crop fields usual small garden birds such as blue and great tits sparrows chaffinch. Overlooking on the telegraph wires kestrels and buzzards raiding the nests of lapwings in the fields. Night time we get tawnys in the trees and little owls coming in for mealworm but trying to catch these little monkeys is not easy. For years we have had barn owls sitting on the fence etc and there are two Male barn owls that come for the chicks and caught mice We put out and we are careful not to over feed them to maintain their hunting skills

My mobile is difficult to put a picture up but I can add a link

Click

Cracking set @Mike.P Particularly the Heron and Wren (y)

Excellent set, especially the wren, you don't often see them out in the open list this unless collecting nesting material.

Redpol (everyday in the garden)
Greenfinch
Wren
Twite
Stonechat
Hen harrier

And a lot more!

Cracking Bitten shot Roger @gramps (y)

Nothing exciting, just this fella has been back 3 times so far today, he sits in the bird bath for about 10 mins and goes again.

004.jpg

Feeding time.
The lighting had me beat every time the adult came in to feed the youngster from the very edge of the tree ... from my position outside of the wood and shooting into the trees with light coming through from behind and shadow/sunlight flickering as well as odd bits of twigs behind the scene it was a bit of a 'mare'. Anyway, happy to get the shots even though there are no 'winners' amongst them :)

small_3276_01.jpg

it was a bit of a 'mare'. Anyway, happy to get the shots
It sounds like a right mare Roger, I'd certainly be happy with them too, you did very well under those conditions (y)

Some garden birds from yesterday and today. No sign of my target species, a male Red-bellied Woodpecker, either day but it was nice to get outside with a camera after fracturing my left tibia and shattering the right humerus two months ago.

Male Purple Finch.

5217134.jpg

Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

5217141.jpg

Chipping Sparrow.

6037467.jpg

Last edited:
Several Eagles. However I am in Texas for a few weeks. After a wedding I will (hopefully) have time for some shots.

it was nice to get outside with a camera after fracturing my left tibia and shattering the right humerus two months ago.
Hope you continue to make a good recover :)

Thank you for the correction - I was going to put a question mark against 'meadow pipit' because I was not convinced about the facial markings.

I might be wrong but your meadow pipit looks like a woodlark to me

Back