What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
It was looking like it would be a nice day this morning, but of course within about half an hour of me getting out down my local pond it was overcast and starting to rain...

No luck photographing the kingfisher that was flying around, but I did get some shots of a red-breasted merganser that showed up about a week ago:

P1077361.jpg
P1077913.jpg
I've photographed them around the coast, but that's the first one I've seen inland on a town pond.

Normally I only see the similar looking goosanders - there were about two-dozen in the middle of the pond but a couple swam closer:

P1077210.jpg

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah well back to the drawing board, thanks for your thoughts.

Apologies for de-railing the thread a little, I didn't think the picture was good enough to warrent it's own, it was more of a proof of concept post.

Last edited:
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Unfortunately no camera with me, but a Dipper (my first ever) on the River Allen at Wimborne in Dorset, right next to all the shops too. Jumped up onto a rock for about 15 secs then took off up river. We were astonished.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Another day another Beardie.

Bearded Tit
by Darren Ward, on Flickr
Very nice Darren(y)

Were you at Old Moor today, the 31st?

Bit of a long shot but I spoke to a chap briefly, he was after the Reed buntings, trying for a reflection, late morning?

I was with a blonde woman in a silly red bobble hat :LOL:........was that you by any chance?

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
Blimey it's a small world, yes it was me (y)

Didn't quite get the Buntings but I did get this one earlier in the day, it's a bit pants but it was worth a try.

Poor attempt at a reflection.
by Darren Ward, on Flickr
Yes, small world :)

We've been going to go to Old Moor for quite sometime, it was your Bearded tit shots that made me have a drive over today. Did manage to get a few later in the afternoon, hazy sun light but heavy'ish crops and high ISO

It was an after thought when you'd said you'd been there everyday for the last 5 days, I'd noticed you had a 200-500 but didn't clock the body, thought it had to be worth asking.

atb, Phil :)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
No photos, but I think I saw a hen harrier today, which would be a first for me I think.
It was out on the moors and it rose up from the ground as we walked towards the area.