What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Catching up with a few from last week

Chaffinch - Fringilla coelebs by Darren Ward, on Flickr

wow, what's wrong with his feet, he looks very healthy apart from that :-(

edit: just found this by googling

"Another cause of warty growths is the Fringilla papillomavirus which affects Chaffinches and Bramblings. These growths may vary in size from small nodules to larger warts that engulf the whole leg. The warts develop slowly over a long period and affected individuals may otherwise appear quite healthy. Some individuals may become lame or lose affected digits.

If you wish to report finding dead garden birds, or signs of disease in garden birds, you can do so through Garden Wildlife Health, our online reporting system."

Last edited:
wow, what's wrong with his feet, he looks very healthy apart from that :-(

The disease has been noted by a few people on Flickr and I like you did a google, it's quite sad knowing this wil probably result in an early death. :(

I had a few diseased garden birds over the years and often you don't realise until you look closely on the computer after downloading. Always sad really.

Reed Bunting in his Winter coat - on the river behind my home

TobARKI.jpg

A Redwing

A Little Egret

No photos , Sorry , But for the first time ever I have seen 2 woodpeckers in consecutive days

One in Forrest Hill London and today one in Old Romney Kent , How good is that :)

One of my work colleagues sent me a phone video of a pair of Kingfishers across the road from her flat in the centre of Perth - about ten yards from her window - she says they've been around every day for a couple of weeks and not much bothered by passers by - If I was in the office I'd be heading down to see them - sadly it's about 30 miles from where I'm working from home.

Not good that you are travelling from London to Old Romney, I thought travel was supposed to be essential.

I am a key worker delivering bulk food for a big 4 super market all over Kent, London and the south coast , My fault I should have mentioned it but was unaware I would be questioned

Not good that you are travelling from London to Old Romney, I thought travel was supposed to be essential.

I am a key worker delivering bulk food for a big 4 super market all over Kent, London and the south coast , My fault I should have mentioned it but was unaware I would be questioned

I don't think you owe anyone an explanation, there's more than enough room in other parts of the forum for all the sanctimonious bo**ocks, personally I'd prefer not to see it in the birding section.

Well it looks like I killed the thread :)

Out on the moors yesterday, all I saw were 2 Carrion crow and a distant Buzzard, it certainly spotted me though!

Buzzard.jpg

I’m still here :) RSPB bird watch this weekend so will look for something interesting in the garden .... but it’s raining and blowing a hooley which doesn’t help. Has anyone got a camera in a bird box, we have a blue tit going in every night, you can’t take the greatest photos from it but I love seeing him fluffed up sleeping every night, I feel quite protective towards him.

I saw a Sparrowhawk on our fence this morning when I sat down to eat breakfast. The binoculars were to hand but sadly not the camera. It sat for about a minute then was gone in a flash.

Back