What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Garden Blue tit - yesterday ( 11th)

4ng6hYV.jpg

The local lake, which is fed by the sea, was frozen in many parts the last few days. Whilst on our daily walk this juvenile swan, probably ne of last year's brood, suddenly appeared behind us, landed on the ice, slid on his bum for 3 or 4 yards and then crashed into the water where the thinner ice could not hold his weight.
As my wife alerted me I had to turn and take whatever shot I could but this came out Ok I think, even with the clipped wings.
Mute swan-2110184 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Garden Blue tit - yesterday ( 11th)

4ng6hYV.jpg
Great shot Les - just a random question if I may: I see you're shooting with A7R3 and 200-600, do you shot on crop mode or full frame then crop in later? I've an A7R2 and I have been vaguely pondering the 200-600 if I ever start taking it a bit more seriously and ditch my RX10iv. Cheers, Mike.

Great shot Les - just a random question if I may: I see you're shooting with A7R3 and 200-600, do you shot on crop mode or full frame then crop in later? I've an A7R2 and I have been vaguely pondering the 200-600 if I ever start taking it a bit more seriously and ditch my RX10iv. Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike - Not a random question at all fella, happy to answer :) - I shoot with both a Sony a7Riii and now I have the Sony a7Riv as well - I shoot full frame allowing lots of option to crop those long reach shots - the Sony 200-600mm is an excellent lens for either crop or full frame modes, personally I don't use the crop mode in camera-much prefer to use my Sony 1.4 x teleconverter

I would recommend this lens to any Sony shooter

I also have the Sony 100-400mm G lens- the IQ on this is amazing - I use this lens for larger dragonflies - butterflies etc Using the 1.4TC

like this :)

DSC00077 Painted Lady - feeding 2020 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Hope this helps ??

Les :)

Hi Mike - Not a random question at all fella, happy to answer :) - I shoot with both a Sony a7Riii and now I have the Sony a7Riv as well - I shoot full frame allowing lots of option to crop those long reach shots - the Sony 200-600mm is an excellent lens for either crop or full frame modes, personally I don't use the crop mode in camera-much prefer to use my Sony 1.4 x teleconverter

I would recommend this lens to any Sony shooter

I also have the Sony 100-400mm G lens- the IQ on this is amazing - I use this lens for larger dragonflies - butterflies etc Using the 1.4TC

like this :)

DSC00077 Painted Lady - feeding 2020 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Hope this helps ??

Les :)
Thanks a lot Les - yes that helps! My dilemma is whether I would get the use out of ‘proper’ birding kit rather than just throwing my RX10 over my shoulder as I do now. The results from both 200-600 and 100-400 look fantastic which is the big appeal but they are both obviously a lot bigger and heavier. I am due to retire next year so maybe at that point I will treat myself :)

Thanks a lot Les - yes that helps! My dilemma is whether I would get the use out of ‘proper’ birding kit rather than just throwing my RX10 over my shoulder as I do now. The results from both. 200-600 and 100-400 look fantastic which is the big appeal but they are both obviously a lot bigger and heavier. I am due to retire next year so maybe at that point I will treat myself :)

Go on Mike.......you know you want to! - I retired a long time ago and the weight of my kit has continued to increase ever since! :snaphappy:

Thanks a lot Les - yes that helps! My dilemma is whether I would get the use out of ‘proper’ birding kit rather than just throwing my RX10 over my shoulder as I do now. The results from both 200-600 and 100-400 look fantastic which is the big appeal but they are both obviously a lot bigger and heavier. I am due to retire next year so maybe at that point I will treat myself :)

Thank you Mike- I stick my gear in the Lowepro back pack take to the hide and set it up on a tripod - easy enough :) :)

Sorry about the quality of the pic taken through glass on my phone, but can somebody Id this bird please. I think it's a dunnock but wanted clarification.DSC_0047.JPG

Rubbish images (overcast and too far away), but interesting behaviour from this pair of Buzzards today...........they were exchanging a 'pine cone' between them in mid flight!

The second image clearly shows the pine cone being carried.

GHP_5519 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

GHP_5516 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

GHP_5514 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

GHP_5512 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Back