What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

It is a female Blackbird 100%. Technically a member of the Thrush family but not a Thrush. BB all day long!!!!

That's what i said - ................ but it's really the local Buzzard in drag!

That's what i said - ................ but it's really the local Buzzard in drag!

Yeh, I was confirming your ID, somebody else mistakenly stated it was a Trrush. They were wrong, you were right. End of!!:)

Yeh, I was confirming your ID, somebody else mistakenly stated it was a Trrush. They were wrong, you were right. End of!!:)

I was only trying to engage you in your stimulating art of conversation

It would have been nice had it been a Song Thrush

Here you go!

Turdus are always interesting to talk about, especially as there is a Redwing or two about

but I am getting a little off topic
It's your Thread you can speak about what ever you like.

Here's another female BB:D:D

you mean like this one

cousin.jpg

your first image looks like a Mistle - but I will have to get my magnifying glass out!!!

This is my favourite Mistle image, because of the head/neck position

I think that they used to be called "Stormcocks" because this is a typical position that the bird would take.i.e. on top of a tree

cousin_2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeh, could be right. I just posted the first Thrush Image I found on my Flickr with out really looking. Lazy git:rolleyes:

I had 15 LTT's in my garden this morn....which surprised me since Ive only seen one or two over the years
No pics to prove this so you will just have to believe me
Also a PF ( Im guessing now) since it was big and fast and sent all the crows up

The Turnstones having a banquet ARE Turnstones.

Thanks I wasn't 100% sure :)

Apologies all. They look uniformly black and white to me and the legs look pink. Must be my monitor, ... or my eyes!

Dave
[/QUOTE]

I initially thought Oyster catcher too, but then noticed the beaks weren't bright orange.
It was exposed for the seals, never noticed the birds till later

Was watching marsh harriers and bearded tits at Leighton Moss yesterday. Too far away for any decent shots. Does that count?

It's amazing what a sudden drop in temperature does for the garden bird population. Mine's been pretty quiet, even though the starlings came back a week or so ago. Early this morning the feeders were mobbed by finches - chaff, green and gold. Now they're crawling with tits - coal, great and blue. No LT tits yet.

We've just moved house and so far today on the feeders I've seen

Great tit
Coal tit
Nuthatch
Chaffinch

And there is a Jay in the tree outside the garden watching all the visitors, just need to unpack the cameras now ;)

Canadas, greylags, common gull, blackheaded gull, mallard, carrion crow, rose ringed/ring necked parakeet.

Dave

Goldeneye ?

Right place wrong light and wrong camera

DSCN4068.jpg

DSCN4067.jpg

Havent tried to make anything from them

I think that this is a remarkable image

straight out of camera with just a highlight adjustment ......... from my morning walk

why do I think that it is remarkable ......... D750 ........... ISO 9000 ........ that's correct 9000

the image can be improved with NR etc., etc ........ but I thought that I would post the original ........... have a look at the "better" image on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billn_france/23205381275/in/dateposted/

ISO9000.jpg

I think that this is a remarkable image

straight out of camera with just a highlight adjustment ......... from my morning walk

why do I think that it is remarkable ......... D750 ........... ISO 9000 ........ that's correct 9000

the image can be improved with NR etc., etc ........ but I thought that I would post the original ........... have a look at the "better" image on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billn_france/23205381275/in/dateposted/

ISO9000.jpg

Very capable camera the 750

Looks good Bill, was that with the 300 f4 vr pf + TC 1.4?

Same here as mentioned by Jan above. Yesterday was very busy in the garden, probably due to the drop in temperature. Seen my first Goldfinch and Chaffinch in the garden, which is about time, due the amount we have spend on Niger seed, sunflower hearts and seeds etc............ Unfortunately only managed a couple of record shots of the Chaffinch.

Often see a Pied Wagtail on my neighbours roof, yesterday it decided to come down onto the garden for some feed.

Pied Wagtail by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

20151121-DSC_5102 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
some really good shots now Simon

Surprised no one has posted our favourite bird?

a couple around today

Nikon 300mm PF + x 1.4TC - shadowy day

f5.6 .. doesn't pull the same detail as the 600mm, (not in my hand anyway!!)

Robin_22nd.jpg

would have been a nice shot had I used the correct shutter speed

Robin_22nd_2.jpg

Last edited:
Black Pheasant

drove to the local village this morning to pick up the usual

just record shots for interest, taken from the car ......... I usually see a couple a year and they are as stupid as their normal coloured friends

Black_P_1.jpg

Black_P_2.jpg

Last edited:
Grab shot whilst i was having breakfast yesterday,shot through patio window,with my least favourite lens,pan 100-300

Attachments

• PB220017.jpg
    PB220017.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Would love to see more Jays ... hardly ever see one my way :(

Not really sure, just that they are normally in woodland/wooded parks & gardens.

Was happy to see about 10 red breasted mergansers yesterday at sea in Falmouth. Someone else who lives there said he's never seen them so close (literally at the waters edge) so was really lucky! Then also saw a couple of goldcrests and firecrests in the local woodland which I was really excited about, and to top it all off then saw a rare yellow browed warbler which is in the area! Great day all round!!

Was happy to see about 10 red breasted mergansers yesterday at sea in Falmouth. Someone else who lives there said he's never seen them so close (literally at the waters edge) so was really lucky! Then also saw a couple of goldcrests and firecrests in the local woodland which I was really excited about, and to top it all off then saw a rare yellow browed warbler which is in the area! Great day all round!!

Very nice Chris, certainly sounds eventful!

Went to try and find some Goldcrests yesterday but didn't see any :(

Yeah! I have some pics but not got time to process them until tomorrow evening. Terrible lighting though so not great pics :( gold and firecrests in the shade in dull overcast light, and the mergansers at sea with Sun directly behind them so very difficult to expose for correctly, but I think I've got some ok shots and if not, at least record shots.

Back