What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

The usual

redstart.jpg

puffed_2.jpg

Last edited:

That's a cool take, Mark!

The rather even light on both the birds and
their very generous surroundings seems to
serve more the purpose of their camouflage
and less the pleasure to see them.

Maybe either a tighter crop or/and the use of
tonal separation could help the rendition.

That's a rendition that is most pleasing!

Really like this shot. Love the way the light picks out the owl against the darker background

Thanks, I was quite fortunate :) it was in the shadows, close to the trees hunting, when it turned and flew out into the sun.........could just do with being a bit closer next time :D

the general standard of photography throughout the forum has really improved over the last 12 months

Obviously there have always been guys "up there" at the top ........... but IMHO, the average is really imroving

Last edited:
A couple from yesterday:

A Jay - it's a regular visitor to the picnic site feeding tables, alas it does have the habit of landing directly on the tables.

jay-3657.jpg

A chicken on an allotment, I wasn't actually geared up for bird shots so this was on the Canon 100mm Macro + EP12 Ext Tube

chicken-3626.jpg

And a couple from today...

A Pheasant doing an impression of John Cleese doing the Minisitry of Silly Walks... spotted while out on a walk from Ball Grove Nature Reserve to Wycoller Country Park

pheasant-3712.jpg

And a bit of a mystery, the closest I got was a Wood Warbler... (Not the greatest of shots as it didn't really give me a clear shot and at a distance so quite big crops)

bird-3703.jpg

bird-3705.jpg

the general standard of photography throughout the forum has really improved over the last 12 months

Obviously there have always been guys "up there" at the top ........... but IMHO, the average is really imroving
Just to bring that theory down :),,, (a fulmar I believe)
Watch the birdie by andrew simpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just to bring that theory down

Yes, absolutely horrible… the grass I mean! :)

A première for me, this bird doesn't look big but
has an interesting beak!

Last edited:

Yes, absolutely horrible… the grass I mean! :)

A première for me, this bird doesn't look big but
has an interesting beak!
The beak is horrible for me! It's a similar size to some seagulls.
I'll cut the grass the next time I go out but hopefully the next time the puffins will turn up!

The beak is horrible for me!

This beak is similar to those of some high sea birds…
their name doesn't come back at this moment.

The grass is too yellow and that steals a bit of contrast
in your take. As for the Puffins, I like them so I'll be
waiting for yours.

This beak is similar to those of some high sea birds…
their name doesn't come back at this moment.

The grass is too yellow and that steals a bit of contrast
in your take. As for the Puffins, I like them so I'll be
waiting for yours.
On the North coast of Scotland we don't do green grass until july in a good year :)

Quick laptop edit (might have another go on monitor later) and nothing more than a record shot, whilst waiting for the LEO's last night, this Hobby flew past.

A first for me, not just the photo but actually seeing one and being able to confirm the sighting :) (I think I've seen them before but never been sure)

Hobby.jpg

Just a couple of grab shots with it raining quite heavy.

The GSW who were regular visitors last summer are starting to make an appearance again. Seems as if they don't like the perches again this year and landing on my workshop roof.

Looks like a female as I couldn't see any red markings on head..

DSC_2772 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_2775 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Back