What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

@Swanseajack Have you tried suet balls stuffed into/on the perches?

Yes Gramps, along with peanut butter, cheese, peanuts wedged into holes etc.......... Where the photo is taken from, it's where we back onto woodlands which are private. Going on last years efforts the GSW would land on a big oak tree in neighbours garden, suss out the area and just swoop onto feeders. Or land on my workshop roof as was the case yesterday.

My perches aren't very large in diameter, perhaps it maybe worth buying some wood stakes or find some old bigger tree trunks and try and encourage them onto them with bigger holes stuffed with food.

Some pics from last year and it's way of movements seem similar to yesterday. I did manage to grab a few last year where it would land on on perch but they were very few occasions. So my target was to try and catch some in-flight photos, which didn't, quite go to plan.:D

In Oak Tree,

20150526-DSC_4311 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Workshop roof

Great Spotted Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Perched LSW? there was a discussion on this last year whether a LSW or GSW

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

My in-flight attempts :D

Diving Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Looks GSW to me Simon :)

Providing it was the same bird, it seemed to grow into a GSW. There did seem to be some confusion when you have small junior GSW and the LSW.

just the usual stuff from me

should be some youngsters appearing soon

18th_4.jpg

female Greenfinch
18th_3.jpg

18th_2.jpg

18th_1.jpg

just the usual stuff from me

I think the first two are a bit shy on tonal definition
as the later two are quite better!

I think the first two are a bit shy on tonal definition
as the later two are quite better!

Thanks Daniel

the first two are more OOC ........ I am finding that I do not need to pp as much these days, especially if taken in flat light ......... only NR + small adjustments

.. the last 2 have been processed more, but not by that much more

My main adjustment these days is trying to balance noise removal with loss of detail ....... even the black and white points I do not push as far as I used to

I find the noise, the grain in #4 a little unpleasant and coarse ..... the same as with many shots of this bird

The images are also close up which will exaggerate any errors

Last edited:
Another bloody shot of Short-eared Owls ar*e to go with the other 1000 I already have! :banghead::banghead::banghead: :D

And by the time it turned it was too far away :banghead::banghead::banghead::D

Another Ar-e Shot! by Phil D, on Flickr

Short-eared Owl 8 by Phil D, on Flickr

And to prove that the first one wasn't just luck, I did it with a Curlew too!
shakehead.gif
:LOL:

Curlew 4 by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm in the huff, laid up with a ruptured Achilles, so haven't been taking images but thankfully I have this forum to enjoy, esp' this page.
Thanks for all the takes folks.

laid up with a ruptured Achilles

Achilles?
What a dumb excuse!

Get better quick!
Use the healed Achilles to get your butt
out and on the hunt again soon! :)

Yes Gramps, along with peanut butter, cheese, peanuts wedged into holes etc.......... Where the photo is taken from, it's where we back onto woodlands which are private. Going on last years efforts the GSW would land on a big oak tree in neighbours garden, suss out the area and just swoop onto feeders. Or land on my workshop roof as was the case yesterday.

My perches aren't very large in diameter, perhaps it maybe worth buying some wood stakes or find some old bigger tree trunks and try and encourage them onto them with bigger holes stuffed with food.

Some pics from last year and it's way of movements seem similar to yesterday. I did manage to grab a few last year where it would land on on perch but they were very few occasions. So my target was to try and catch some in-flight photos, which didn't, quite go to plan.:D

In Oak Tree,

20150526-DSC_4311 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Workshop roof

Great Spotted Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Perched LSW? there was a discussion on this last year whether a LSW or GSW

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

My in-flight attempts :D

Diving Woodpecker by Swansea Jack, on Flickr
I think its a young GSW because the red is coming through on the rump, on a Lesser Spot there is only red on the head. The photos are superb.

600 / D800E @ 85% crop.

C8844%201EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what this is so had not posted, perhaps someone here might know. I am not really a birder just a dog walker who likes taking photos.

Nest building
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

From this mornings dog walk. There were 4 of them all male but I carry a 300f4 and 1.4xTC and could not get them all in a frame before they flew off but now I know where they are I will try something with a bit of zoom.

Two out of four by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Not sure what this is so had not posted, perhaps someone here might know. I am not really a birder just a dog walker who likes taking photos.

Nest building
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

From this mornings dog walk. There were 4 of them all male but I carry a 300f4 and 1.4xTC and could not get them all in a frame before they flew off but now I know where they are I will try something with a bit of zoom.

Two out of four by Martin Billard, on Flickr

The first one is a male Linnet (y)

Watched this male Blackbird today washing it's lunch of worms today, never seen this type of behaviour before. Just some grab shots through kitchen door.

Many birds do Simon, I regularly watch Oystercatchers digging up worms and then running to the water to wash them off :)

I saw a Cuckoo today,no matter how much i followed it couldn't get closer than about 35 yards,the annoying thing is it kept shouting over here to me. :D
Must be the same one I saw :D

Back