What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Often see the Heron

Me too… but four hundred metres away!

These were closer!

D0169%20EDpp.jpg

D0175%20EDpp.jpg

Dam, I've got to post after more crackers from Daniel! Oh well, a couple of Fulmar shots today on my way home

Your birds (nor you) have no
reason to be shy!

Both good takes and renditions Andrew!

Saw 2 Little Egrets today fishing with a Grey Heron.

Nah, where are they… I see only one aigrette,
nice but only one!

I hope it will be soon… i want to see the babies.

C8855%20EDpp.jpg

Enjoy the daisies now little fellow cause,
soon enough when the hormones will kick
in, you won't have time to pose for such
sweet takes!

Very cute Roger!

Marsh Harriers at Blacktoft Sands yesterday, always miles away and typically with their backs turned! :banghead: :D

Interesting to watch though, this male made a kill and brought it back to the female, he dropped it, that's it top of her wing and she caught it.........part of the courtship maybe???

Massive crop! :rolleyes:

Marsh Harriers by Phil D, on Flickr

Marsh Harriers at Blacktoft Sands yesterday, always miles away and typically with their backs turned! :banghead: :D

Interesting to watch though, this male made a kill and brought it back to the female, he dropped it, that's it top of her wing and she caught it.........part of the courtship maybe???

Massive crop! :rolleyes:

Marsh Harriers by Phil D, on Flickr

Fabulous to watch Phil :)

These always make a smart photo :)

Thanks Gramps, I do see these a lot in my yard (along with Grey Wagtails - which don;t like each other), alas my yard is not very photogenic. Both wagtails sing when they fly near spots that they regularly feed at, so I always know when they are about.

Todays birds - Mallard in the daisies at Astley Park in Chorley

mallard-daisies-4382.jpg

And the closest I've managed to get to a Grey Heron the last 3 days walks along the River Ribble near West Bradford - 5 times they got chased off by Crows...

grey-heron-4415.jpg

Nice ... a good population there Phil?

Thanks Roger, not a great amount yet, but it was only our first visit. It was good though to see the odd one a little higher up the cliffs making for a better pov :)

Little Sand Martins flying up and down a little river in the village of Edern, Lleyn Peninsula. The Martins flew one way then turned and came back. They were so close to the surface I thought I can take a photos of these easily, no way. Loads of photos of the back of the birds but try as I might just couldn't get a front photo. Nearly an hour to get one photo, there must be an easy way of getting a photo, I had to focus on a patch of water and slam the shutter down and really it was hit and mostly miss. Sand Martin flying along the river.jpg

Little Sand Martins flying up and down a little river in the village of Edern, Lleyn Peninsula. The Martins flew one way then turned and came back. They were so close to the surface I thought I can take a photos of these easily, no way. Loads of photos of the back of the birds but try as I might just couldn't get a front photo. Nearly an hour to get one photo, there must be an easy way of getting a photo, I had to focus on a patch of water and slam the shutter down and really it was hit and mostly miss. View attachment 65316

Hehe it certainly takes a lot of practise to get a clear sharp shot. I normally use Continuous High on the D810 and track them in flight with dynamic 51 and burst off a few frames and see if many hit.

It really is so tricky though along with House Martins, Swallows and Swifts. Got a few shots though but, yes, it takes a while! :)

This situation of yours is probably where a 10fps camera comes into play. Focus on a target area, probably use around f8-f9 and fire at the appropriate-ish time (y)

…while one parent says with the eggs,
the other goes feeding…

D0380%20EDpp.jpg

Watch those whites Daniel, it is a surprisingly difficult bird to get right sometimes ... but a lovely bird it is :)

it is a surprisingly difficult bird to get right sometimes

…it's now that you tell me… :bat:

As I had a look at the histogram, I concluded
the best way out for this take was to opt to save
the low end. The first take read the whole scene
far too dark.

If this take is ever published, I have the fist one
to optimize it… I always have a eye on the whites!

Thanks! :)

…landing party!

D0600%20EDpp.jpg

…was this girl too shy?

D0455%20EDpp.jpg

…these guys are so fast…

D0924%20EDpp.jpg

Back