What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Besides the jays I posted just this little fella today worth keeping from the walkabout!

23436181311_1f9d0673d3_b.jpg

Been quiet around here for the last few days with very high winds today. My usual LTT have been visiting and they were really struggling today with the wind and to land on the feeders. Managed these couple over the last few days.

ISO 3200 and taken through glass, so not too bad I suppose.

Long Tail Tits by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I really like those Simon, typical of small birds coping with our British weather :)

I really like those Simon, typical of small birds coping with our British weather :)

Thanks, Roger, I sit for hours watching them in the garden and I never tire of them, my favourite birds probably. Bill doesn't like them IIRC, so I will post some everyday for him;)

I'm still obsessed with close up portraits of Tits, trying to turn my long primes into macro lens

lovely sunny day, here, today, with lots of Redwings around this week, but I just cannot get near them

GT_5th.jpg

DOF is difficult this close
BT_5th.jpg

GT_5th_2.jpg

a few Starling shots - guess which I prefer

Star_1.jpg

Star_2.jpg

but they never land were you want them to

Star_3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice selection Bill, looks like the lens adjustments have worked (can't see for sure cause you've removed exif again ;) ).
Jury's out on the catkins.

Excellente chasse, monsieur!

Been quiet around here for the last few days with very high winds today. My usual LTT have been visiting and they were really struggling today with the wind and to land on the feeders. Managed these couple over the last few days.

ISO 3200 and taken through glass, so not too bad I suppose.

Lovely to see a picture with more than one

Wonderful shots of the LLT - agree that more than one in shot really makes it - especially the one with 3.

Nasty grey wet weekend weather wise for me, so not ideal for birds photos again.

I did manage to photograph a male Black-necked Grebe for the first time. Although they are large 50% crops.

MG_2247.jpg

MG_2208.jpg

An from the Woodland - a great spotted-woodpecker
MG_2401.jpg

And curious looking Robin.
MG_2440.jpg

Very blustery walking about Farmer today but did manage to see the 3 indeed targets. Great northern diver, Grey phalarope and Red-necked grebe. Light was awful so very much doubt the photos will be any good when I go through them. Hoping for a repeat visit later in the week.

My wife said "there's one of your big horrible birds at the front" - within 10 feet of one of the windows ..... - looked through the window, it must have seen the movement so - flew a little way into - (we have a small wood), - grabbed the D750/300PF - went outside and managed to grab a shot before it finally left

Beautiful young "Common" Buzzard - but nothing common about this bird ... incredibly healthy looking bird

Both images crops -but straight OOC

Buzzard_41.jpg

Buzzard_51.jpg

Last edited:
No photos as I only had my binos, but happy to see a Slavonian Grebe and a Red Throated Diver out at sea in Falmouth :) Also found a dead Great Northern Diver washed up on the rocks (as well as a decapitated seal!) :/

Not the greatest of shots, or the most photogenic of perches and backgrounds, and taken through double glazing as well, but feels like the only time I've used my camera all week.

It landed on next doors kitchen roof literally minutes after I'd put out some more meal worm.

I see some worms.....

magpie-0290.jpg

Weather is much the same here as it has been for the last five weeks now, rain! Seen a Red Kite over head yesterday, but a little to high for my lens. Usual garden visitors and the LTT's are very busy and have been visiting about 5 times daily.

Managed to grab another three bird photo like the one earlier in thread and also counted twelve of them between the different feeders, most I have ever seen is sixteen.

Few grab pics.

DSC_6170 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_6179 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_6153 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Weather is much the same here as it has been for the last five weeks now, rain! Seen a Red Kite over head yesterday, but a little to high for my lens. Usual garden visitors and the LTT's are very busy and have been visiting about 5 times daily.

Managed to grab another three bird photo like the one earlier in thread and also counted twelve of them between the different feeders, most I have ever seen is sixteen.

Few of grab pics.

DSC_6170 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_6179 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_6153 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I like the way your handling those tits ;) nice work if you can get it.

Mainly ducks and crows today,nothing out of the normal oh yes a Song Thrush dont see many around here.

DSC_2532.jpg

I like the way your handling those tits ;) nice work if you can get it.

After nearly 50 years of practice, I'm slowly starting to get the hand;) of it now. Shame I didn't do the hoovering today come to think of it:D

Dark today

missed the Wren, missed the Kingfisher and missed the LTT's, even missed the one eyed Magpie

I could have posted a Robin, but this guy asked me to take his photo

first day out with the D7200 ............... at ISO 7200

Mallard_Male.jpg

Last edited:
Dark today

missed the Wren, missed the Kingfisher and missed the LTT's, even missed the one eyed Magpie

I could have posted a Robin, but this guy asked me to take his photo

first day out with the D7200 ............... at ISO 7200

Mallard_Male.jpg

Excuses :D

I would have thought you should be pleased with that @ ISO 7200 on DX,was the iso matching the camera luck or planning

Excuses :D

I would have thought you should be pleased with that @ ISO 7200 on DX,was the iso matching the camera luck or planning

Just co-incidence Mike ....................... but 630mm at f5.6 and VR in a small almost compact set up at 24mps ..... almost "too light" to carry!!! - would any serious bird shooter walk into a hide with this set up - embarrassingly small - funny looks from the 600mm "white" Canon brigade!!!!

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Some great pics, all of you.

Can I just say a quick thanks to @BillN_33 for starting this thread, it was a great idea! (y)

Thanks Wez - it is a place to post images for fun ...... without the usual worries of "this is a critique forum" - that's what I intended when I started it

just be free with your camera and take bird shots or shots of birds .......

Last edited:
No photos but yesterday morning as it was getting light, the train I was on was waiting on the edge of the marshes at the end of the river test and I noticed, in an area where the reeds were cleared (by bonfires I think) there was a little owl sitting on a log minding it's own business. I thought I did very well to see it in the gloom and we sat there for about three minutes as I watched it and and then as the train pulled away a juvi Barn Owl flew out from the reeds beside it and flew around a little, I got rather excited to say the least, not seen a little owl in yonks, let along a barn owl!

Hi Mike! He's a smasher:)! Sort of looks as if he's just seen a ghost! Any tips on how you got nice, blurry background?

Hi Mike! He's a smasher:)! Sort of looks as if he's just seen a ghost! Any tips on how you got nice, blurry background?

Thanks,on this occasion its the fact there is a flat back ground running away from the subject rather than the subject being in front of something plus the widest aperture i had @ 450mm and being close to the subject.

Back