What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

These little blighters get me every time, I've seen lots of adult and juvenile Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff but the youngsters just make me hesitate. I think by the beak its a Willow Warbler, though its a bit tricky.
View attachment 68347

Pretty sure it's a Chiffchaff with the dark legs in summer, isn't it?

Out early walking my dogs and had a real treat, I got a brief glimpse last week but my first Owl phot since 8th May and that was a SEO so very please to see a barn owl. It took its first catch and appeared a few minutes later so I assume its feeding chicks. Caught a second shortly after but did not appear again.

Barn Owl fly past
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Barn Owl with prey
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

A couple of record shots from the weekend, Chiffchaff (ID'ed by its song :D) and the closest I've come to a Green Woodpecker ...........and that's wasn't close!

Chiffchaff.jpg

Green Woodpecker.jpg

I'd love to get a Green woodpecker, very uncommon in my area though.

Lendalfoot, Ayrshire, Robert

They nest on the Ailsa Craig, c. 10 miles offshore, left hand side of the image below

TOM_3253 by Thomas Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:

I like these birds' design! …very cool!

Nearly got one as it entered the sea but a bit fuzzy.
They are really well evolved for flight and feeding and look wonderful.

Cheers Tom. I'll have a look next time I'm passing through Lendalfoot. I'm in prestwick, but have the occasional trip to Stranraer.

I'm in Drongan, just give me a shout if you want some company on a day out.
The cliffs at Corsewell lighthouse have them passing really close.

Untitled by Thomas Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
Had a trip to the Farnes on Sunday, and so here's some Puffins and a Arctic Tern chick. Still got some more pics of adult terns and a razor bill to edit but had to start with the puffins! Hope you enjoy. I'd recommend a trip to the Farnes to anyone who's thinking of going, the amount of bird life and activity is staggering. Great fun watching the Terns attack people too!

Puffin by WillWA, on Flickr

Puffin Portrait by WillWA, on Flickr

Arctic Tern Chick by WillWA, on Flickr

Had a trip to the Farnes on Sunday, and so here's some Puffins and a Arctic Tern chick. Still got some more pics of adult terns and a razor bill to edit but had to start with the puffins! Hope you enjoy. I'd recommend a trip to the Farnes to anyone who's thinking of going, the amount of bird life and activity is staggering. Great fun watching the Terns attack people too!

Puffin Portrait by WillWA, on Flickr

Arctic Tern Chick by WillWA, on Flickr

Brilliant set, really want to visit there.

Any idea when the last recommended day to visit, this year, is?

Reactions: WWA
Superb set of photos, I'll never see such a sight so thanks for sharing.

Thank you @wezza13 and @molly , the light was perfect and apart from a rain shower the weather was good and it all helped.

I think that now until the end of July is best for Puffins but I'm sure August will be ok too. If you look on Billy Shiels boat trip website there's some good info on there including types of trips and when they run.

( http://www.farne-islands.com )

The other boat company are great too, all highly recommended.

Thank you @wezza13 and @molly , the light was perfect and apart from a rain shower the weather was good and it all helped.

I think that now until the end of July is best for Puffins but I'm sure August will be ok too. If you look on Billy Shiels boat trip website there's some good info on there including types of trips and when they run.

( http://www.farne-islands.com )

The other boat company are great too, all highly recommended.

Thank you, I'll definitely look in to it.

Driving up to Bempton Cliffs to do a Gannet and Puffin workshop next week, so looking forward to that :)

A first for me, looking at my book I presume this is a Little Egret Junior? ............Messed my exposure up a bit as I had +1.7 EC dialed in from previous use! .Also, been a while since I have used the monopod and now with the 150-600mm Sigma I need more practice.

Photos taken at Ogmore by Sea, seen loads of Swallows and I think Sand Martins along with the estuary ducks and gulls.

Little Egret Junior by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Wow, very unusual pose, The Exorcist or what!?!? :D

Strange in it! I didn't notice at the time and only noticed when up-loading photos, I was trying to get the swallows, I had no chance so practised on the Gulls.:D

We went to Ogmore today as they had the Squacco Heron on my last visit, plus grey. Last time, I only had the 300mm lens and it was to short, so it was a nice bonus to get the Little Egret today without seeing the Herons.. Another to tick off the list. Kingfisher next:eek:

Last edited:
Considering the ISO (16000) on that pigeon shot the noise handling is great. Have you processed it much? Lovely image by the way

@Swanseajack That guy with its head upside down cracks me up every time I look at it

I've seen this often and going by Owl head turns, it's apparently no more than a 270/280 degree turn, I stand to be corrected but I've seen so much that disagrees with what's written, I know it's not 360 deg' but it's certainly impressive.

Considering the ISO (16000) on that pigeon shot the noise handling is great. Have you processed it much? Lovely image by the way
Thanks @WWA. No processing other than levels adjustment - shows what the 1DX mark 2 can do!

Back