What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Would you adam and eve it!.....about ten minutes after posting the above Goldfinch photo, a couple turned up and managed to land on perch rather than washing line. At the same time, a pair of GSW also turned up on different feeders, managed a couple of grab shots of the furthest one on fence, male I believe.

Drizzle rain and early morning so just grab shots. Garden was very busy probably due to the strong winds and rain, early this morning.

DSC_6011 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_5959 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_5940 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mag_BDX.jpg

As some members may know, I have regular daily visits from LTT's through the Autumn to Spring months, where I have counted up-to sixteen birds on the feeders. As they bugger off around breeding time, I have never seen a LTT fledgling until today, just a record shot, but nice to see with it's parents, along with five other adults.... They seem to be returning earlier this year, possibly down to the poor weather we have been having.

Also, liked the Blue Tit photo, as it seemed as if it was just chilling and relaxing for five.

Long Tailt Tit Fledgling. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Blue Tit chilling out. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I do not have a suitable lens for birds so do not shoot them.
Over the last two weeks I have had a Jay coming ito my small garden to take food from my feeder.
I never knew that they ran straight down 70 degree branches with out using their wings at all, the speed is astonishing.
as is their fast acrobatic flight within the granches of a tree. Quite unlike the clumsy jackdaws who come to feed.
To day he brought a friend who watched him feed from the higher branches, but was too shy to join in.
Perhaps I do need a lens.

Last edited:
I do not have a suitable lens for birds so do not shoot them.
Over the last two weeks I have had a Jay coming ito my small garden to take food from my feeder.
I never knew that they ran straight down 70 degree branches with out using their wings at all, the speed is astonishing.
as is their fast acrobatic flight within the granches of a tree. Quite unlike the clumsy jackdaws who come to feed.
To day he broudgt a friend who watched him feed from the higher branches, but was too shy to join in.
Perhaps I do need a lens.

You can use a short lens, you'll have to get really close though! ;)

Sounds like a baby Jay with its parent

Love Chiffchaffs and Green Woodpeckers but I hardly ever seen a woody these days. Great shots.

Thanks Molly, I took these down on the River Severn near Stourport whilst doing a spot of barbel fishing (yes the fishing was slow :D) and if you'd have asked me if we had any GW's local, I live near Halifax on the Pennines side, I would have said no.

Yesterday afternoon, I was walking through the fields opposite mi house and couldn't believe what I was seeing, A Green Woodpecker with a fledgling clung to a fence post. Watched them through the beanos, as I walked towards them, the adult flew to a nearby crop of trees followed not long after by the fledgling.......I was made up to be honest! :D

That combination performed well at those settings :)

Cheers Roger, I could have done with it being 70yrd closer though :D

A few of todays, (and I have been working so) the Heron was from an early dog walk and the others a lunch break with no lunch for me.

Heron with a Jack Pike

Heron with jack pike
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Not 100%

Stonechat ? not sure

Kestrel actually hunting dragonflies

Kestrel hunting

The master of dragonfly hunting

Hobby hunting

Hobby low and fast

But they still miss

Hobby missing

A few of todays, (and I have been working so) the Heron was from an early dog walk and the others a lunch break with no lunch for me.

Heron with a Jack Pike

Heron with jack pike

Not 100%

Stonechat ? not sure

Kestrel actually hunting dragonflies

Kestrel hunting

The master of dragonfly hunting

Hobby hunting

Hobby low and fast

But they still miss

Hobby missing

Really nice set, Martin, what a great walk! :)

@PINNACLE Some lunch break!! Would love to see a hobby and a kestrel on my lunch break!

And I think you right with Stonechat, a moulting one though.

Just caught up on this tread, some superb shots on this page since I last visited. Keep up the good work everyone. Fantastic thread.

Back