What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

The lake is very short of interesting subjects,several hundreds of geese,bless em;) but i need to learn the gear so ime practicing on any thing that moves.

P1030092.jpg

P1030101.jpg

Today I have mainly been seeing gulls! Earlier, they were bathing and drinking on the river (above the weirs so in fresh water) then this afternoon they were reducing the numbers of flying ants. I suppose I should know the differences between them, having lived in vaguely coastal areas all my life but they've always been known as gulls or (say it and you'll be about there!) shy talks! There was also a cormorant having a quick bath and a family of swans of some ilk. No pictures - it was an eating trip rather than photographic! Next time we're there, I'll hopefully have the 2x converter to play with. Typically, by the time we got home this evening, they had eaten their fill and flocked off to carp on the holidaymakers on the beach!

Dont normally get Tufted on the lake until the end of summer, wonder if its telling us something.

Plenty around me including a number of fairly new chicks :)

Plenty around me including a number of fairly new chicks :)

We never see Tufted or Pochard in the summer,i think the lake could have too many people on it at that time of year.

Still mainly large birds due to having a embarrassingly small one (lens that is).

P1030557ee.jpg

P1030532.jpg
Camera​
DMC-GX8​
Focal Length​
175mm​
Aperture​
f/7.1​
Exposure​
1/1000s​
ISO​
800​

P1030555.jpg

The Goldfinches decided to bring their fledgling/youngster to meet me today, same as the adults landing on the washing line. Again nice to see.

Maybe similar to what @mikew has noticed with the Tufted or Pochard ducks he's mentioned above. There was approx 12 LTTs on the feeders yesterday, through the summer months I only see the odd pair, so it's possibly they are coming home earlier this year, as normally, I see the larger groups from the end of September on-wards??

Goldfinch Fledgling by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Goldfinch Fledgling by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
No more than a record shot, but after following both Long and Short-eared Owls for nearly 18 months, this is my first shot of a Barn Owl in flight.

Only had the D3100 and 70-300, poor light so ISO 3200, quick laptop edit but at least its looking down the lens and has a bonus kill :)

I'll be back tomorrow evening with mi 150-600 hoping for some better light!

Barn Owl with Kill.jpg

Last edited:
Such a beautiful bird, pity its such a devil with other birds, taking chicks and eggs.

Pretty much what the crow family do. if they get half a chance
This one has not heard that they are supposed to be shy.

a couple of quick shots this morning from my window seat of our resident Hoopoe family

they never keep still, but do come close to the house

just wish that I could get a shot of one in flight!

Hop_12.jpg

Hop_11.jpg

Last edited:
a couple of quick shots this morning from my window seat of our resident Hoopoe family

they never keep still, but do come close to the house

just wish that I could get a shot of one in flight!

Hop_12.jpg

Hop_11.jpg
Stunning photos, what a great bird to have in your garden.

Thought I'd got my first Wood Warbler photograph this afternoon, that is until I got it on the computer now I believe it's a Juvenile Willow Warbler :(

Does look like a juvenile WW and very colourful amongst the berries too :)

Interesting behavior,you guys may have seen it before but its a first for me,the lake at the moment is a major feeding ground for the larger gulls,the chicks from the ducks and Moorehens are vanishing on a regular basis,this guy had four brothers and sisters 3 days ago,the parents have left the sole survivor from the first brood looking after junior while they both search for food,they will pass the food to the older one and it gives it to the baby.

P1040093.jpg

Interesting behavior,you guys may have seen it before but its a first for me,the lake at the moment is a major feeding ground for the larger gulls,the chicks from the ducks and Moorehens are vanishing on a regular basis,this guy had four brothers and sisters 3 days ago,the parents have left the sole survivor from the first brood looking after junior while they both search for food,they will pass the food to the older one and it gives it to the baby.

Yes Mike older siblings will often share in the work of feeding the youngsters :)

Wood Warbler or a Juvenile Willow Warbler, beautiful! (y)

As we're all doing Herons ... this juvenile was trying to keep out of the way of an adult and seemed to be doing quite well sedately flying across the lake...

Heron1.jpg

Unfortunately the landing didn't go exactly according to plan ... narrowly missed a wooden structure, frightened a duck and just stopped short of the bushes! :D

Heron2.jpg

Back