What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Thanks for the replies to my query.
It was just a wee personal comparison thing using a d7200 and d300 with different lenses, nothing scientific or technical.

I can say i'm glad I got my hands on the d300 for the price I paid.

A question.

Will these be able to fly or have we had another unwanted pet dump on the lake.

DSCN4448.jpg

Just a couple from the old mill lodge around the corner from where I live.

The Grey Heron is a regular visitor.

grey-heron-3140.jpg

And a Cormornat that seems to have taken up residence..

cormorant-3252.jpg

cormorant-3258.jpg

cormorant-3265.jpg

At my daughters for a couple of days - Raines Park west of London

she said these noisy green birds fly from that big oak to that other tree at about 18:15 every evening - "they don't look like British birds maybe someone lets them out for exercise every evening"

Rose Ringed (Necked) Parakeets - a pair were release maybe 20 years ago and now their could be apparently 50,000 in the UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_parakeets

Raines_Park.jpg

Last edited:
At my daughters for a couple of days - Raines Park west of London

she said these noisy green birds fly from that big oak to that other tree at about 18:15 every evening - they don't look like British birds maybe someone lets them out for exercise every evening

Rose Ringed (Necked) Parakeets - a pair were release maybe 20 years ago and now their could be apparently 50,000 in the UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_parakeets

Raines_Park.jpg

There are loads of Ring-Necked Parakeets around now, with a heavy concentration inside the M25.

Think someone on here said they'd reached as far as Barnsley!

Sort of blew this one,had auto ISO set at 3200 max and as it flew into the dark area it was nearly two stops under exposed,the NR hasn't done it any favors but i like it.

P1080430.jpg

three really good images there Tom, really effective the beach image, (even though you have centralised the bird?) . could have a little more "bite" but a lovely scene

you have pushed #2 a little too far over to the right for me, but again an attractive image

three really good images there Tom, really effective the beach image, (even though you have centralised the bird?) . could have a little more "bite" but a lovely scene

you have pushed #2 a little too far over to the right for me, but again an attractive image

Case of cropping to be rid of oof beaks and bums Bill, lol

Been a fairly productive day. Little owl within walking distance from home and a Kingfisher catching fish in a place I've been many times and certainly didn't expect to see one, a drain on one of the local reservoirs.

Looks like work in progress for some better shots :)

Would be interested to know if anyone can tell me, is the Kingfisher is m/f, juv?? cheers

Little Owl.jpg

Castleshaw Kingfisher.jpg

Been a fairly productive day. Little owl within walking distance from home and a Kingfisher catching fish in a place I've been many times and certainly didn't expect to see one, a drain on one of the local reservoirs.

Looks like work in progress for some better shots :)

Would be interested to know if anyone can tell me, is the Kingfisher is m/f, juv?? cheers

View attachment 73373

View attachment 73374

It looks like a juve to me Phil, with the dull coloured feet and what looks like the tip of its bill being pale. The feet would be orange if it was an adult. Then when they're adults the female has an orange bottom mandible as opposed to the male's that is black (y)

Nice to have a Little Owl in walking distance ;)

Last edited:
Back