What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

@tom24 That's a cracking Nuthatch Tom. The dark bg is right up my street(y)

If you could get it to perch on top of the bit of log to its right, exposed for the bird leaving the black bg it would make a superb shot :)

Thanks Phil, i'm going to have to make a decent perch at that spot

Yellow-browed Warbler at Aberdaron to-day, it moved so quick that I slipped with the focus.
View attachment 75060

WOW Shirley - that's a good twitch!!!

but apparently October is the time they are in the UK in very limited numbers, they get blown across the N Sea

did you get a message to say it was around or did you just spot it?

have many been recorded before in Wales?

Last edited:
Well! I went with a friend to search for any, Bardsey had 2 yesterday and 2 others were sighted south side of the Lleyn Peninsula so I knew they were about. Its the first one I've ever seen, it was a question of quick there's one, so I slammed the shutter down and got 6 photos in quick succession. They are seen more around the coast so I'm going to search every Sycamore tree from now on.
Clwyd had a good number of them in the last week, the trouble here in Gwynedd is there are so few birders.

Last edited:
Well! I went with a friend to search for any, Bardsey had 2 yesterday and 2 others were sighted south side of the Lleyn Peninsula so I knew they were about. Its the first one I've ever seen, it was a question of quick there's one, so I slammed the shutter down and got 6 photos in quick succession. They are seen more around the coast so I'm going to search every Sycamore tree from now on.

Good luck - I hope you get a few good images

Just looked it up on the map - it looks like beautiful countryside there

No photos unfortunately (it was 3am), but I had two massive (and I mean massive) owls sat in the back garden chatting to each other last night for at least an hour. The silhouettes looked amazing, hard to gauge exactly but I would say one was 2 feet tall, the other slightly shorter.

Quite a sight and not one I expected in a Wiltshire village in the middle of the night!

Could've done with a wee meet up for a few hours last weekend when I was down there

Spent all day being teased by these lovely little birds just keeping out of range of my camera only for this one to land just in front of me as I headed back to my car.
Wheatear by Craig Nicoll, on Flickr

That is lovely Craig - deserves a thread on it's own

Have you thought about removing the bg bush just to see what difference it would make

Hi Bill and cheers for the kind comment. I did think about removing the background bush but in the end I left it in as I did not think it was too much of a distraction :)

Hi Bill and cheers for the kind comment. I did think about removing the background bush but in the end I left it in as I did not think it was too much of a distraction :)

It does not really add anything to the image - in a way it causes it to be less balanced

Hi, bit of background first if that's ok

Moved house September 2015 and a nice by product is the two gardens we have with one viewed from a lovely picture window in the lounge and the other through a recently built elevated conservatory.

Only got back in to photography last year and quickly realised that with a bit of feeding the gardens were pretty good at attracting a few types of birds. I invested in a few bird feeders and during winter and spring I spent many an hour sat watching and taking pictures etc with my limited lens.

Fast forward to now and after a very drawn out, time and energy absorbing conservatory and extension build I have just had chance to spruce up the gardens a little and clean and top up the bird feeders.

Thrilled to bits to see a Robin and Blackbird within the first half hour as I can't remember the last time I saw a bird in the garden. The house building work just absorbed all our spare time and energy that even filling bird feeders seemed like hard work.

Really looking forward to seeing and photographing as many birds as possible and hope to contribute some decent pictures when Santa arrives with my long Sigma contemporary

Tony

Hi, bit of background first if that's ok

Moved house September 2015 and a nice by product is the two gardens we have with one viewed from a lovely picture window in the lounge and the other through a recently built elevated conservatory.

Only got back in to photography last year and quickly realised that with a bit of feeding the gardens were pretty good at attracting a few types of birds. I invested in a few bird feeders and during winter and spring I spent many an hour sat watching and taking pictures etc with my limited lens.

Fast forward to now and after a very drawn out, time and energy absorbing conservatory and extension build I have just had chance to spruce up the gardens a little and clean and top up the bird feeders.

Thrilled to bits to see a Robin and Blackbird within the first half hour as I can't remember the last time I saw a bird in the garden. The house building work just absorbed all our spare time and energy that even filling bird feeders seemed like hard work.

Really looking forward to seeing and photographing as many birds as possible and hope to contribute some decent pictures when Santa arrives with my long Sigma contemporary

Tony

Look forwrd to seeing some of your pics :)

Bempton Cliffs yesterday

Red Breasted FLycatcher, very harsh light full on the bird, and I was in the wrong spot each time!

Red Brested Flycatcher by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Ganet #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Ganet #2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

In scarborough

GBB Gull by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

redshank by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Ringed Plover by Michael Johnson, on Flickr
Superb sightings, Red-brested Flycatcher, very rare. Excellent photos.

Haiwiian Nene Goose, Martin Mere does produce some of the most surreal backgrounds at certain times of day..

haaiwian-nene-goose-6220.jpg

Did you have to PP these a lot, Roger?

Asking, as I'm trying not to go over 1600 ISO on my D500 as I seem to lose too much detail but these are superb

Usual tweaks in ACR then a pass through Topaz N/R, adjusted levels then Nik Define brush on the background and sharpen, TBH the ISO on these was an accident as I stupidly left it on +1.3EV from previous use but they came back well I think. :)

Back