What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I spend all my leisure time at Leigh on Sea where I have a boat , We have a tame robin who is quite happy to come within about 4 feet of us when we are sitting in the rear cockpit and he / she enjoys our biscuit crumbs . We also have lots of other birds as well , I enjoy sharing with them
Will take my camera next time and see if I can capture the little bird :)

Well done on the Mandarin Wez, I don't think I have ever seen one in flight :)

@crofter One bird I'd like a really nice shot of but can't ever seem to come close!

First time ever saw some goldcrests today :)! But i had no camera with me :-( ! What a surprise they are tiny, very quick and they make cute little noises!

Also this week i saw twice a merlin and it's a first for me again but then i was driving so not the best to be taking picture!

Last edited:
A couple of distant record shots here from yesterday, just documenting what I can whilst on holiday on the isles of scilly, both the eider and common scoter were photographed at penzance in the harbour. The ganet was photographd from the boat going over to the islands. 20 mph winds which turned in to a force 7 and a hail storm!

common scoter (record) by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Not a common sight at all in cornwall

eider @penzance harbour by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Ganet #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Very different Mike ... as an aside Slimbridge have just discovered a new batch of Mallard chicks, testing times ahead for them I fear! :)

Very different Mike ... as an aside Slimbridge have just discovered a new batch of Mallard chicks, testing times ahead for them I fear! :)

You can see the time in the future when wildlife breeds at any time,seasons are very confusing now.

How come people are posting really good shots in here? This thread is meant to be for general shots, not ones deserving of their own threads (of which there are quite a few on this page alone). I often forget this thread is here and see very little activity in the forum and wonder why.

So is there a reason these great shots are being put in here?

How come people are posting really good shots in here? This thread is meant to be for general shots, not ones deserving of their own threads (of which there are quite a few on this page alone). I often forget this thread is here and see very little activity in the forum and wonder why.

History of too much hassle in the regular forum?

I started the thread because I felt that guys were reluctant to post because they felt their shots were not good enough for a separate thread, and when and if they did post in a separate thread sometimes the Critique became a little strong - as Roger indicated above in #2113

Last edited:
Maybe I missed all of that when I was away from the forums for a few years. Fair enough then.

I really enjoy this thread, you can post a Robin on a spade which is really nice and then as above someone has a Yellow-browed Warbler which I have been trying to get a photo of all Oct. I asked for it to be a sticky but never got a reply but the members are keeping the thread at the top of the section anyway, good on them. Its nice to have a mixture of photos and the fact people keep the thread going(y)

Back