What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

see post #1 and #2

Yeah I know, I read through your original post in case I'd missed something, but that doesn't really have any bearing on harsh criticism/people getting into fights. I always thought of this thread as a place to put shots you don't quite think deserve their own thread.

@gramps you have no problem making new threads for shots as I've seen you do it loads of times. So I just wonder why for example you'd put that excellent godwit in here when it could have gone in the other thread. I saw it on your flickr and wondered why yoh hadn't shared it on here...now I can see you just put it in here.

Anyway it's fine, doesn't matter to me, I'll just have to remember to check this thread too. Can I just check if this is a feedback/critique thread then?

then as above someone has a Yellow-browed Warbler which I have been trying to get a photo of all Oct.
Thank you. I'm not really a bird tog but just have a general interest in birds and wildlife. We went out looking for bearded tits but couldn't get anywhere near them for the massed ranks of bird togs. Big tripods, massive lenses, massive backpacks with massive guys all in their cammo gear, all there before dawn and blocking not just the view but anywhere else to stand. Tits was the word used frequently.
We walked away and saw some ringing going on when they caught this little chappie. We also got told of a place near home where there are some.
All the serious guys missed all that, and spoiled the morning for a lot of folk.

How come people are posting really good shots in here? This thread is meant to be for general shots, not ones deserving of their own threads (of which there are quite a few on this page alone). I often forget this thread is here and see very little activity in the forum and wonder why.

So is there a reason these great shots are being put in here?

I can only speak for myself but ime a average fun photographer,this thread just fits my needs,i dont want heavy critique,i can see the faults in my own work without being told, my standard will continue to fall due to factors i have no control over,so yes i love this thread.

I take a lot of shots that I don't think merit their own thread, and are not technically perfect, but I like them. So I post in here, and the sigma 150-600mm thread. :)

Thank you. I'm not really a bird tog but just have a general interest in birds and wildlife. We went out looking for bearded tits but couldn't get anywhere near them for the massed ranks of bird togs. Big tripods, massive lenses, massive backpacks with massive guys all in their cammo gear, all there before dawn and blocking not just the view but anywhere else to stand. Tits was the word used frequently.
We walked away and saw some ringing going on when they caught this little chappie. We also got told of a place near home where there are some.
All the serious guys missed all that, and spoiled the morning for a lot of folk.

Where was the YBW? Ive been down in Cornwall recently where there were quite a few sightings, just wondered if you were down there.

No, no, no. Miles and miles away.
This was RSPB Leighton Moss. Way up in the frozen north.
There are quite a few up and around Lancaster/Preston or so I'm told. Something to do with the strong easterly winds of the past few weeks.

you have no problem making new threads for shots as I've seen you do it loads of times. So I just wonder why for example you'd put that excellent godwit in here when it could have gone in the other thread. I saw it on your flickr and wondered why yoh hadn't shared it on here...now I can see you just put it in here.

The main bird forum can be very inflexible, people get upset if you question WB, focus or something, then on the other hand crit often implies the bird is a studio model that you can set to a fitting background or head-turn ... it's all a bit too stressful for the hobbyist but sometimes I forget and post one up.
The forum would be great if people remembered that most folk go out for an enjoyable day and take photos of living creatures that do what they want to do, when and where they want to do it ... and if it ticks all the boxes for a great photo that's just a coincidental bonus.

The main bird forum can be very inflexible, people get upset if you question WB, focus or something, then on the other hand crit often implies the bird is a studio model that you can set to a fitting background or head-turn ... it's all a bit too stressful for the hobbyist but sometimes I forget and post one up.
The forum would be great if people remembered that most folk go out for an enjoyable day and take photos of living creatures that do what they want to do, when and where they want to do it ... and if it ticks all the boxes for a great photo that's just a coincidental bonus.

That's no problem, I just wondered why you sometimes post in threads and apparently other times here, when the quality of the photos is the same. But if that's the way you like to do it, who am I to question it :)

I agree some people want a Critique Bird forum and some people do not. It has been suggested in the past that the Section be split but there is plenty of room for both in this section. I always felt and was lead to believe that this was a Critique Section and that Critique was important whether applied to a "studio" shot or a shot that was more free.......... as it is in other sections

Unfortunately through actions of there own we have lost a few skilled members and a few other similar members have dropped off because they probably became bored with the Forum and the "dumbed down" attitude of comments, ...... which is a great pity... but there will always be people who "snipe" and differing views

But hey, as long as you enjoy it keep happy ...... but the Forum has changed

Last edited:
I agree some people want a Critique Bird forum and some people do not. It has been suggested in the past that the Section be split but there is plenty of room for both in this section. I always felt and was lead to believe that this was a Critique Section and that Critique was important whether applied to a "studio" shot or a shot that was more free.......... as it is in other sections

Unfortunately through actions of there own we have lost a few skilled members and a few other similar members have dropped off because they probably became bored with the Forum and the "dumbed down" attitude of comments, ...... which is a great pity... but there will always be people who "snipe" and differing views

But hey, as long as you enjoy it keep happy ...... but the Forum has changed

It has little or nothing to do with 'dumbing down' and everything to do with unreasonable critique IMO.
Some people here are/were only content with the supposedly 'perfect' image to the point of being ridiculous, even first time posters/non-birders being derided for posting a photo of a bird with twigs in the background or with its head not at what they consider to be at the right angle ... not helpful critique but petty nonsense which just discourages people from posting in the forum. Critique should be encouraging and helpful not 'picky' and ignoring the reality of a bird in its habitat or the limitations due to environment or other conditions. There are some posters in the forum who are both helpful and encouraging, IMO far more is achieved by encouragement, including holding the forum together.

even first time posters/non-birders being derided for posting a photo of a bird with twigs in the background or with its head not at what they consider to be at the right angle ... not helpful critique but petty nonsense which just discourages people from posting in the forum. . .

taking your points one by one

I do not recognise this at all - I think that you are imagining things - please point to two posts where this has occurred

To pick up your insinuation, this thread is more typical of a Critique thread we get now

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/barn-owl.637603/

Last edited:

I do not recognise this at all - I think that you are imagining things - please point to two posts where this has occurred

To pick up your insinuation, this thread is more typical of a Critique thread we get now

I am certainly not imagining things but I have no intention of trolling through threads to pick on any single individual(s) ... your use of the term "insinuation" confirms my lack of desire to pursue this with you any further.

I'm not sure what you mean there Bill? That was a good thread was it not? You gave honest critique, it was taken on board and the other members seemed to agree with you. I expected the link to be to a thread with "great shot" "amazing shot" "perfect" and nothing helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean there Bill? That was a good thread was it not? You gave honest critique, it was taken on board and the other members seemed to agree with you. I expected the link to be to a thread with "great shot" "amazing shot" "perfect" and nothing helpful.

nothing to do with people agreeing with me

A touch of Fog-tography!

Well this morning there was a thick fog and very limited visibility, just about see the Bullfinch in the bushes in front of the hide...

Bullfinch-before.jpg

Thank heavens for processing to make something of a poor start to the morning!

Bullfinch-after.jpg

RB-after.jpg

LTT-after.jpg

Obviously not good quality images but it does show how software can help :)

Always pleased to get a Tufted flying,i never get much warning with them.

P1100153.jpg

This guy gave me a few chances

P1100198.jpg

Image too small and wrong focus point on my one and only grab shot but you can see why i kept it ;)

P1100284.jpg

Not seen one recently Mike but I know they've been watching me! :D

Thick cloud today so had to up the ISO for the first Pochard of winter on the lake ISO 6400 very near the limit for m4/3

P1100406.jpg

Back