What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Had another session on the 31/12/15, using the Nikon V1/FT1/Nikon 300mm F/4D lens combo.

Some challenging conditions at times, but good to get out in some sunshine(at times!).

Location - Riverside Country Park, Gillingham/Rainham Kent.

Cheers Paul.

Little Egret.
Little Egret. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Little Egret. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Black tailed Godwit.
Godwit. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Dunnock.
Dunnock. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Sparrow.
Sparrow. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Magpie in the car park. (background is the blue bonnet of a car!)
Magpie (uncropped). Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

I would love to know the ISO if you dont mind,they are very detailed

Hi Mike, sorry mate, i was putting some more images in the V1/J1 thread (which does say what camera settings i was using).

I dont save my images with Exif data intact (its just something ive never done) i will go an check the exif data on all the images...but i had the camera set in A, f/5.6, ISO set to between 100 and 400, shutter around 500 (when the sun was out!). Jpegs as usual, handheld...bloody windy conditions!

Hope this helps, cheers Paul.

farm6
farm6
Saw these today, but not sure what they are....
24022431842_3c8e710934_c.jpg
image by robert shearer, on Flickr
How do I get rid of the 2 failed images?

They're Cormorants by the way;)

Thought that's what they might be. Thanks.
How do I get rid of the 2 other images/non images?

Can't you just go to edit the Post, highlight the links to the two rogue images and delete them.

First bit of sunshine here for what seems like a couple of months, only lasted for a couple of hours though.

Bought a 300mm f4 lens off Bill over Christmas (thanks Bill for you help) and today was nice to give it a run out at home. All photos taken through back door glass, so well pleased with the results.

So some usual garden visitors for me.

Coal Tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Greedy Crow by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Nuthatch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I'm not saying this because I sold you the lens Simon, but these images are some of the best IQ images from you that I have seen

They look really good - and presumably you have not even fine tuned the lens yet

I would love to know the ISO if you dont mind,they are very detailed

OK, Ive got the ISO's now...

As i said earlier, camera was set to Auto ISO (but between 100 to 400). Whilst Im sure the V1's capable of taking acceptable quality images above ISO 400, i would rather not go there myself. Also, i shoot in Jpegs, an since we are talking about just 10 MP's to play with, for me, in good light, up to ISO 400, suits my needs, on that given day.

To be fair, i was real close to the Sparrow and Dunnock(within 15 feet)...and quite close to the Magpie(approx 20 feet)...but the Little Egret, an the Godwit had to be at least 50 feet or more shooting distance. Only the Dunnock did not have direct sunlight on it...an the Little Egret had variable sunlight.

Egret (portrait) - ISO 125
Egret (landscape) - ISO 110
Magpie - ISO 125
Sparrow - ISO 180
Dunnock - ISO 400
Black tailed Godwit - ISO 110

They all had Shutter speed of 1/500, accept the Dunnock, which was 1/320.

In better/predictable sunlight, i would try Manual rather than Aperture mode, or maybe even Shutter mode, and control the ISO's myself, because we all know how "fiddly" the V1's menu mode is!!

Love the Coal Tit & Nuthatch Simon :)

I'm not saying this because I sold you the lens Simon, but these images are some of the best IQ images from you that I have seen

They look really good - and presumably you have not even fine tuned the lens yet

Thanks both,

No Bill, haven't fine tuned the lens as today for a couple of hours has been the only chance I have had to try (not been too well). I had the same lens earlier in the year on my then D7100 which I bought after returning my d750 for a VF issue. I loved the lens, but it was too heavy for me to use so I sold it. I have been saving for a longer lens and was planning on getting either a Tamron or Sigma 150-600 or Nikon 200-500 and for my needs in the garden I reckon the 300mm f4 is a better lens for IQ and I have the Tamron 70-300mm VC for going out, it's about the max I can manage. I may buy a 1.4 TC in the coming weeks though.

I'm having shoulder and elbow surgery at the end of this month which will be a four month recovery. I will see what I can manage then, but I cant see me going for anything longer. I feel with the TC I'm pretty much covered for my needs.

Last edited:
OK, Ive got the ISO's now...

As i said earlier, camera was set to Auto ISO (but between 100 to 400). Whilst Im sure the V1's capable of taking acceptable quality images above ISO 400, i would rather not go there myself. Also, i shoot in Jpegs, an since we are talking about just 10 MP's to play with, for me, in good light, up to ISO 400, suits my needs, on that given day.

To be fair, i was real close to the Sparrow and Dunnock(within 15 feet)...and quite close to the Magpie(approx 20 feet)...but the Little Egret, an the Godwit had to be at least 50 feet or more shooting distance. Only the Dunnock did not have direct sunlight on it...an the Little Egret had variable sunlight.

Egret (portrait) - ISO 125
Egret (landscape) - ISO 110
Magpie - ISO 125
Sparrow - ISO 180
Dunnock - ISO 400
Black tailed Godwit - ISO 110

They all had Shutter speed of 1/500, accept the Dunnock, which was 1/320.

In better/predictable sunlight, i would try Manual rather than Aperture mode, or maybe even Shutter mode, and control the ISO's myself, because we all know how "fiddly" the V1's menu mode is!!

Many thanks Paul,i have the V2 and D7200 I keep thinking about getting the 300 these shots and the ones from Simon may be the push i need.

Many thanks Paul,i have the V2 and D7200 I keep thinking about getting the 300 these shots and the ones from Simon may be the push i need.

No problems Mike, yes, i know you have the nikon V2, and since you have the D7200 as well, i would think that the nikon AF-S 300mm f/4D lens will work very well with both those cameras. Another bonus being "cost" now, because this lens can be bought for approx £500 (i got mine for less than this) but around £500 is the going rate.

Ive only had my lens since October 2015, so its still early days for me...but if i had to choose just the one Nikon lens, then this lens would be it.
I mainly shoot close up/macro subjects myself (as in- Reptiles/Butterflies/Dragonflies) but since this lens will focus down to approx 4 feet, add some extension tubes into the mix, an you will have a 300mm prime lens, that will produce very good close up images. Its not quite a macro lens as such, but it comes close enough.
So for me (with my chosen subjects) this lens is an all rounder, it covers all bases...even if i am just a "part time birder".

Then, on your D7200, it is 450mm...I sold my D7100 for a D700, so i didnt get a chance to test it for close ups with my D7100, but im sure it would have worked a treat.

As you know, its a "poor mans" Super zoom on the Nikon 1 series cx cameras (V1/V2 etc) which will give 810mm!!...thats a whole lot of fun to be had.

Not birds, but a couple of close up images i captured with my D700/300mm f/4D lens combo.

Cheers Paul.

PS. the Butterfly is a Small Copper, which is approx the size of your thumb nail.
For the Dragonflies in Cop. i used a 12mm extension tube.

Small Copper Butterfly. 4th-October-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Migrant Hawker Dragonflies, in Cop. (uncropped). 4th-October-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

I was thinking the same thing, Simon. But then I saw Bill posted this.

Your LTT image is a lot more detailed than the ones that you normally post and this is in poor light!

Looking forward to seeing some pics in good light with the new lens (y)

Just got that lens myself with a 1.4 tc and it certainly gives good IQ. I think the crap pictures that I get are down to my handholding technique (or lack of). Really need to practise as it's just not practical to carry a tripod around everywhere, although I take it out a lot more than I used to!

Do you use a tripod, Simon?

I was thinking the same thing, Simon. But then I saw Bill posted this.

Your LTT image is a lot more detailed than the ones that you normally post and this is in poor light!

Looking forward to seeing some pics in good light with the new lens (y)

Just got that lens myself with a 1.4 tc and it certainly gives good IQ. I think the crap pictures that I get are down to my handholding technique (or lack of). Really need to practise as it's just not practical to carry a tripod around everywhere, although I take it out a lot more than I used to!

Do you use a tripod, Simon?

Thanks for your comments Wez.

Yes Wez I use a tripod. I bought a geared one not so long ago, along with a Sunwayfoto DB44 ballhead. With the geared tripod I'm hoping while I recover from my shoulder and elbow op's Clare can put the lens and camera on tripod before she goes to work and I can hopefully operate the equipment one handed.

The tripod I bought is rated to 18kgs and not something I plan to lug around, so is great for me. I had it from Wex for £134 and was supposed to be £399.00 RRP it seems a sturdy kit to me and worth every penny, the disc feet are excellent when setting up on kitchen tiled floor. I looked at the reviews and it was highly rated over the Manfrotto 055 I was also looking at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-32...16&sr=8-1&keywords=vanguard+auctus+plus+323ct

Thanks for your comments Wez.

Yes Wez I use a tripod. I bought a geared one not so long ago, along with a Sunwayfoto DB44 ballhead. With the geared tripod I'm hoping while I recover from my shoulder and elbow op's Clare can put the lens and camera on tripod before she goes to work and I can hopefully operate the equipment one handed.

The tripod I bought is rated to 18kgs and not something I plan to lug around, so is great for me. I had it from Wex for £134 and was supposed to be £399.00 RRP it seems a sturdy kit to me and worth every penny, the disc feet are excellent when setting up on kitchen tiled floor. I looked at the reviews and it was highly rated over the Manfrotto 055 I was also looking at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-323CT-Carbonstativ-Auszüge-Belastbarkeit/dp/B0051DURNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451831716&sr=8-1&keywords=vanguard+auctus+plus+323ct

Wow, that is a beast of a tripod! You won't get any camera shake with that one :)

I use a Manfrotto 190XPROB and it's good enough for what I use it for.

Good luck with the operation, with a bit of practise (or luck!) you'll get some great shots with that lens.

I certainly recommend the 1.4 ii TC with it as well to give you 420mm with hardly any loss of IQ, I haven't noticed any yet!

First bit of sunshine here for what seems like a couple of months, only lasted for a couple of hours though.

Bought a 300mm f4 lens off Bill over Christmas (thanks Bill for you help) and today was nice to give it a run out at home. All photos taken through back door glass, so well pleased with the results.

That LTT is a beauty. Good luck with the op.

Several more images from back on the 31/12/15.

The Avocet images were a little on the soft side, probably because i used a Nikon 1.7 teleconverter (approx 1350mm equivalent) and the sun was getting low in the sky.
It was nice to see the Avocet come in and feed with the Godwits though. I was shooting from on top of a huge Wharf (Bloors Wharf) looking down, as the tide came in.

Cheers Paul.

Acocet feeding, with Godwit. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Avocet. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail, feeding in large puddles, on top of the Wharf.
Pied Wagtail. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

More Black tailed Godwits.
Godwits feeding. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Godwits. Nikon V1/FT1 test 2. 31st-December-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Took my youngest to Howletts Zoo on a cold, frosty new year's day.

We had a lodger in the walkthrough Lemur enclosure :

View attachment 53553

Looks like a female Kestrel, well spotted.

With all that animal feed around at Zoo's, its a great place for native/wild small Mammals/Birds to cash in on the food, so no wonder the local Raptors show up.

Amongst the usual suspects at the mill lodge near me I saw: male and female Goosander (alas no images as they took flight the moment I got the camera out), several Herring Gulls and what looked to be some juveniles, and 10-12 Tufted Ducks. As I only had the Canon 24-105mm f4L lens with me, I went home and grabbed the Sigma 150-600mm and went back. Alas the light was pretty poor and they refused to come any closer, so this was at 600mm, and a large crop at that. Not the greatest of images, but first time I've seen them on the lodge.

tufted-duck-0851.jpg

tufted-duck-0862.jpg

This has to be the longest spell of bad weather we have had for a long time,just took the V2 and 30-110 with me on my walk,nothing of note but this guy wanted his picture taking,

DSC_4555.jpg

When we do get some its a couple of hours late afternoon and that is no good where i go.

Annoying when the forecast says it's going to be chucking it down and the sun comes poking through the window ... been trying to plan my week but watching the weather forecast it changes hour by hour!
Mind you Mike, I often find that Pigeons do make a very nice subject for a photo, just that he always want to find something different :)

Liked the expression on this Song Thrush face, as if to say "I'm off"... Also, with the garden bully in the background.

Never seen one in the garden before and it's come back this morning, but not close enough for a decent photo.

Song Thrush and Robin by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Great close up shot of the Avocet, these are facinating birds to watch in action, the way they feed etc.
Ive never managed to get close to one, the only time i see them, they are always a long distance away!

To be fair this one was in a 'walk-through' area at Slimbridge so there is an opportunity to get closer ... I've got some fairly close 'in the wild' but not this close and not at this time of the year. :)

Taken this afternoon in what feels like a life time of drizzle and mist :banghead: :D..........would have been half happy if it wasn't for the bl00dy fence
images

Short-eared Owl 6th Jan '15.jpg

Really poor day today, started off dull and misty but then had great sunshine but for the life of me I couldn't get any decent images ... I'm thinking the camera forgot what good light was!
Anyway, a couple turned out something near usable...

Flock of Shellduck

Shellduck.jpg

Flock of Greylags

Greylags.jpg

Group of Cranes

Cranes.jpg

Hooded Merganser (ISO 11400)

Hooded-Merganser.jpg

Last edited:
Back