What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Great little birds, love the head-throwing displays. :)

Aye, he only did a couple but not when I was camera ready, still, good to see them close in.

A couple of Nuthatches from yesterday

nuthatch-3102.jpg

nuthatch-3213.jpg

And a Male and Female Goosander from today, I've not seen the male ones before

male-goosander-3304-pano.jpg

female-goosander-3312.jpg

Just to show that our visitor from last year has come back.
The female Blackcap is vigorously territorial and chases off anything that dares to come anywhere near 'her' feeders ... bit of a nuisance really as it limits the selection of birds stopping by :(
Even the next door neighbours cat making an appearance made her raise her head feathers but she stopped short of trying to chase it off! :D

(Taken quickly through the kitchen d/glazed window to the back of the garden, so not presented as a good image).

Blackcap.jpg

She's just managed to see-off 2x Great Tits, 2x Robins & 6x Goldfinches :(

Nothing special but a pleasing sight for me.

I had been trying for a couple of years to try and entice some Goldfinches to the garden and last summer they appeared... Unfortunately, there seemed to be Fatfinch disease with some of them in Septemeber 2016, so I took all my feeders down and disinfected and bleached and left them down for three weeks. Never seen any Goldfinches since this week when I have counted upto five of them on the feeders, which is one more than last year.

I also had a heart attack in November, on my birthday:( so haven't really picked the camera up since this week. Hopefully I will get to posting some more and better photos over the coming weeks/months.

Just record shots and taken through dirty kitchen window.

DSC_1395 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_1377-Edit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Also been seeing this song thrush which is a new one for me this winter.

DSC_1385 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

All the best Simon
I used to have greenfinches in my garden. They used to sit 4 or 5 at a time on the sunflower hearts in the 'robin feeder' (the type with the domed roof). This winter - not a single greenfinch, haven't seen one anywhere locally in months - but I'm getting goldfinches. My feeders come down in early summer for cleaning. I had a lot of chaffinches last winter with scaly legs. Their numbers are down, but they're still here and seem to be healthy, so let's hope they start to make a recovery. As a bonus I'm getting a regular nuthatch.

@Swanseajack - well done on enticing the Goldfinches - I have been trying for a couple of years, had 2 visits by a single bird! Good to hear you are recovering :)

Well done Simon @Swanseajack good to hear you are recovering enough to get back to a bit of photography, love Goldfinches :)

All the best Simon
I used to have greenfinches in my garden. They used to sit 4 or 5 at a time on the sunflower hearts in the 'robin feeder' (the type with the domed roof). This winter - not a single greenfinch, haven't seen one anywhere locally in months - but I'm getting goldfinches. My feeders come down in early summer for cleaning. I had a lot of chaffinches last winter with scaly legs. Their numbers are down, but they're still here and seem to be healthy, so let's hope they start to make a recovery. As a bonus I'm getting a regular nuthatch.

Thanks folks for the comments.

Hi @Swanseajack Glad you're managing to get some photos taken. Even better that they're of birds and not your neighbour's roof! :p

Cheers Wez;),

D500 landing tomorrow, I have sold my 150-600mm lens so hopefully will get the 300mm PF if I like the camera more than my D810, which I will probably need to sell to afford the lens, well, unless I save:eek:

Cheers Wez;),

D500 landing tomorrow, I have sold my 150-600mm lens so hopefully will get the 300mm PF if I like the camera more than my D810, which I will probably need to sell to afford the lens, well, unless I save:eek:

You'll really enjoy it, the AF is like no other (well, maybe the D5!). That 300 PF will surprise you how light it actually is.

That reminds me, I'd better put my 300mm F4 on the classifieds this evening

Moved house September 2015 and with minimal effort I regularly had pairs of Goldfinch with one memorable day 10 of them buzzing about but this year not a single one so far. Had lots of others including a male Pheasant calling in but no Goldfinch yet [emoji15][emoji15]. They were regulars last winter at the Niger feeder.

3 new ones for me today, Long-tailed tit, Treecreeper and Nuthatch. Also had a robin that posed so nicely for me it would have been rude not to have took a photo!
I'm happy with my Nuthatch photo but the long-tailed tit and treecreeper are not that good, I think I can get some better ones next time I go back to where I saw them, especially the long-tailed tits as they seemed quite abundant, not so sure about the treecreeper, only saw one. Also saw my first Red Kite and Jay of the year.

Nuthatch by the Itchen near Shawford by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Treecreeper 1 by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Long tailed tit 2 by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Robin at Hocombe mead by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Back