What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A few more from yesterday, not the greatest of light though.......Also, must say I'm pleased with the performance of the D500 so far!... Seems a big improvement to me over my last DX body the D7100, for ISO, AF and buffer.

@markyboy.1967 not sure if you've bought the D500 yet Mark, .... all below at ISO3200 and through the double glazed kitchen window. Also the Coal Tit above.

Fluffed up Goldfinch

Fluffed up! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Blue Tit, he didn't seem so sure what to do with the large peanut he got form the feeder.

Blue Tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

The joys of DX again, frame fillers!

Bull Finch

Bullfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Nice to see the Oystercatchers back :)

Are these still shot in JPEG? Just to let you know, if they are, from my end it looks like the camera is applying lots of NR (too much sheen on the images, if you know what I mean?).

Great to see them again this year and will be looking out for chicks later on.
No these are RAW but particularly #2 is affected by very bad backlight and probably focusing to far to the front of the bird, which was already too close, I just liked the eyes and dirty beak. :)

Crappy light, 1/64 shutter but one of my favourite garden birds

17702-1486821965-e23724d66ba4cec0502f1a5b8e6cffd4.jpg

Following on from my post on last page for the Lesser Redpoll, five of them turned up today and in my excitement:D I had left the camera on last nights setting for shooting the moon for some of them........ So I have pulled out the best of the detail and compositions as I could for them.

I'll be more prepared tomorrow.:)

Lesser Redpoll by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3568 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3582 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3577 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Following on from my post on last page for the Lesser Redpoll, five of them turned up today and in my excitement:D I had left the camera on last nights setting for shooting the moon for some of them........ So I have pulled out the best of the detail and compositions as I could for them.

I'll be more prepared tomorrow.:)

Lesser Redpoll by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3568 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3582 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3577 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr
Nice, yet another bird that has declined in my area, haven't seen one for 3 years now :(

Nice, yet another bird that has declined in my area, haven't seen one for 3 years now :(

Thanks Roger,

We had just come in after picking my meds up and more bird food and Clare pointed them out to me as she was looking out of window and spotted them after changing our clothes. When I had the camera there was the Redpoll, Goldies, Bullies, Dunnocks, Chaffinces, Robin and Tits in the garden, I didn't know where to point my camera and I was trying to be greedy and try and get the five of them in one photo. I was like a kid in a sweet shop.:D

Lately I have been very lucky with the different birds coming to the garden, especially the Finches after trying to encourage them for the last two years or so. Hopefully the Siskins will turn back up soon.

Last edited:
I bet, that must have been a real buzz. Pics are great, I love the backgrounds on 1 & 3 particularly, really sets the bird off.

Any movement on lifting the shadows a bit or have you done as much as you'd want to?

Hi Stef,

Thanks for the comments,

In regards to the photos, I have pulled as much data as I could out of them, by lifting exposure nearly two stops, black point and shadows, unfortunately the D500 doesn't have the DR of the D810 which I have been spoilt with. There was just too much noise for my capabilities at PP and the detail was being lost. I was at f9 with the first photo after just grabbing the camera and my settings could have been better for the others for the poor light they were taken in.

Redwing earlier this morning, again shot through glass. These really are a flighty birds round here, only to open the door and they're off!

Redwing -resized.jpg

Good shot Tam.
I went today, and there were 3 Jays hanging around high in the trees, but it was difficult to get any decent shots.

3!, they're gaun' their mile this weekend showin' aff, lol

despite having camera on the windowsill in readiness - I didn't get a single shot!!!!
Pair of bullfinches and 3 LTTs (never see them!!!!) which I'm very happy to see! Apart from that, bluetitis, blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows, and fat pidgeons cr@pping their way up the garden :(

Well I had chance test the 600mm F4 with the 1.4TC today as there was nothing close lol

Crackers them Mick, love egrets (y) is there much at the pool or haven't you been recently?

Spotted a few dippers on the river down here (Lyndney) so might have to go for a wander when we're back

Crackers them Mick, love egrets (y) is there much at the pool or haven't you been recently?

Spotted a few dippers on the river down here (Lyndney) so might have to go for a wander when we're back

This was in Wales, I had a day trip after the bittern but no show :-(

The pool is quiet besides usual suspects but cormorants are very active flying from one side of the dam to the other as my previous shots I got of them?

Lovely exposure on the Egret there Mick (y)

Cheers just wish it had been closer and oh a nice background lol, but better than coming back with nothing from a 130 mile round trip?

Back