What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I had a quick look down the meadows last night as I really want to get some Barn Owl with prey shots. I got lots of action shots but not what I was looking for.

Barn Owl spotting prey
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

A one rubbish one with prey only helped by having another owl in the frame.

Two Barn Owls one with prey by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Simon, almost every Chaffinch I've photographed around our area (and surrounding villages) appears to have this problem. Speaking to the local KoS guy, and he said it's a very common problem amongst them. Poor little things, they certainly walk/hop gingerly whilst affected :(
Saw this on a buzzard the other day. Doesn't look nice

Lovely Mick, I so wish I could see one of these this year, just nothing around my area. :(

Hello Guys,

I am going to get into Birds Photography if they damn things comes out round here LOL not seen many the past few days.. Will also need to add a lens to my collection to get some closer shoots I believe ha ha

Lovely Mick, I so wish I could see one of these this year, just nothing around my area. :(

I've had one coming to my feeders for months. First time I've ever seen one in the village. Plenty up the road at Swell Wood but I've never seen one here before, so they can pop up when you don't expect them. Mine doesn't hang around to be photographed though. Maybe if it stays around it'll get a bit less wary.

Hello Guys,

I am going to get into Birds Photography if they damn things comes out round here LOL not seen many the past few days.. Will also need to add a lens to my collection to get some closer shoots I believe ha ha

Ohhh, what you thinking of? Be a good project to do with your little girl, get some feeders out with some branches & twigs set up with a nice background. We have a few branches collected from the local woods (off the ground) and use the back hedge as a nice OOF background.
We cable tie smaller twigs on the ends so we can change the perch often :)

They will keep you busy for hours, sitting, waiting... :)

Finding it very difficult to capture a good image, they're constantly on the move

Yes, we saw one for the first time a couple of weeks ago at Delamere Forest, very fast and my pic was just a record shot unfortunately. Very unprepared for it :)

Few from Forest of Dean today...:)

We were down that way recently, saw loads of Mandarins a Cannop Lakes/Ponds (y)

Last edited:
Back