What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

@Shirleyr Well done on getting 2 Dippers together Shirley (y) And a good record shot showing the difference between Canada and Barnacle Geese.

There were a couple of Barnacle in a flock of around 150 Canadas local to us recently but I couldn't pick them out :rolleyes: :D

@PINNACLE

More cracking Barnie shots Martin, love the first one with the eye contact............actually scrap that.......I'm just very jealous :p

@Shirleyr Well done on getting 2 Dippers together Shirley (y) And a good record shot showing the difference between Canada and Barnacle Geese.

There were a couple of Barnacle in a flock of around 150 Canadas local to us recently but I couldn't pick them out :rolleyes: :D
Thanks Phil. Winter came back with snow covered hills and its the same field year after year that usually brings in Whooper Swans but yesterday none of those. Also whilst I had the camera, a friend with a very good pair of binos's search all the geese and then I was pointed to where the Baranacles were and took shots.

@PINNACLE The owl carrying the vole?? in its beak is a cracking shot Martin (y)

I've only been watching owls a couple of years but seen them make a lot of kills, never seen one carry like that.

@PINNACLE The owl carrying the vole?? in its beak is a cracking shot Martin (y)

I've only been watching owls a couple of years but seen them make a lot of kills, never seen one carry like that.

I have only seen it twice the last time was the same spot about a month ago so it could be the same owl. I now need a close up head on shot with a vole dangling, I even got up early to try this morning but it was blowing a gale so no owls. Role on 4pm.

Last months but flying away so did not post.

Barn Owl with vole in mouth
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Apologies for the feeder shots.

I have been having a lot of Finches to the garden the last few days.

I have counted at one time up-to: >

14 x Goldfinches
5 x Female Chaffinches
3 x Male Chaffinches
7 x Lesser Redpoll
4 x Female Bullfinches
3 x Male Bullfinches
1 x Male Siskin

Plus all the other regulars.

Great to see as I have been trying for nearly three years to get the Goldfinches to the garden.

Finch record shots. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Finch record shots by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Finch record shots. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Is that a wild greylag, Roger? How's it staying alive?
It's amongst the wild flocks at Slimbridge at the moment Jan ... it must be able to eat to have got to the stage as it looks like a birth defect (see the twisting) rather than a break or similar. It's a bit like the young Crane with the broken top bill, still manages to feed even though it doesn't seem to have the means. :thinking:

Is that a wild greylag, Roger? How's it staying alive?
because the bottom of the top mandible is still there Janny????? I'm stunned it's an out an out grazer.

Roger i'm not sure birth defect somehow looks caught to me something grabbed it from the top? Buddy although my main stream was domestics I've helped hatch a goodly few wild fowl too i'd feel ,(might be wrong mate) that this isn't a birth defect Upper mandible distortion i've seen ,sadly,but this one doesn't feel right when one hatches lots one sees lots I guess. . . Buddy could Cobra chime in could you alert him for me please...... could this be caused by a bird of prey? Mate I'm amazed that bird is alive and deeply curious as to cause.some birds will to live is simply incredible,some just seem hell bent on death from day one,fair play to that goose !!!

Fab images here, cheers guys, lovely to muse. Martin I got back tonight to have missed a barnie flying up and down in front of my house in gorgeous light by mins cause some guy wondered off and I needed a sig to be paid I could scream very loudly,:oops: :$first time in a year hey ho lovely images mate,so my sighting of the day will be via another,

Stu

because the bottom of the top mandible is still there Janny????? I'm stunned it's an out an out grazer.

Roger i'm not sure birth defect somehow looks caught to me something grabbed it from the top? Buddy although my main stream was domestics I've helped hatch a goodly few wild fowl too i'd feel ,(might be wrong mate) that this isn't a birth defect Upper mandible distortion i've seen ,sadly,but this one doesn't feel right when one hatches lots one sees lots I guess. . . Buddy could Cobra chime in could you alert him for me please...... could this be caused by a bird of prey? Mate I'm amazed that bird is alive and deeply curious as to cause.some birds will to live is simply incredible,some just seem hell bent on death from day one,fair play to that goose !!!

Fab images here, cheers guys, lovely to muse. Martin I got back tonight to have missed a barnie flying up and down in front of my house in gorgeous light by mins cause some guy wondered off and I needed a sig to be paid I could scream very loudly,:oops: :$first time in a year hey ho lovely images mate,so my sighting of the day will be via another,

Stu

No expert here Stu, just a 'best guess' on cause ... I'll tag @Cobra for you :)

could this be caused by a bird of prey?
I'll tag @Cobra for you
:wave:

TBH I'd say highly unlikely to be a BoP.
After all what do we have that's big enough to take on a Greylag?
And risk not getting damaged in the process, I'd guess hatching defect, or even maybe damaged as a youngster, fight with a fox maybe?
Even as a chick its still a massive handful for any predatory BoP, they go for the head, wrap their talons around it and bite through the neck., dead in seconds.
Either that, or stoop it, that is stun it in the air, knocking it out of the sky, pitch up, and then chase it to the ground, either way 99% of the time its dead.

As I've said before, BoP's don't kill indiscriminately, they risk access, food v feather damage ( or worse) before going in for the kill.

@Stuart Philpott if you are fairly convinced that its not a birth defect, ( I've only hatched quail, no experience of breeding wildfowl) my money would be on fox.
Even then its lucky to be alive.

Bet you enjoyed that, I know I would have :)
One hour of action and I was knackered, the owls came so close it was so exciting and I also had a Roe buck 30 odd feet away from me and walking towards me, I got to 300mm and filled the frame, I could actually smell him. Brilliant evening.

One more of many close passes

Barn Owl very close fly by
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

:wave:

TBH I'd say highly unlikely to be a BoP.
After all what do we have that's big enough to take on a Greylag?
And risk not getting damaged in the process, I'd guess hatching defect, or even maybe damaged as a youngster, fight with a fox maybe?
Even as a chick its still a massive handful for any predatory BoP, they go for the head, wrap their talons around it and bite through the neck., dead in seconds.
Either that, or stoop it, that is stun it in the air, knocking it out of the sky, pitch up, and then chase it to the ground, either way 99% of the time its dead.

As I've said before, BoP's don't kill indiscriminately, they risk access, food v feather damage ( or worse) before going in for the kill.

@Stuart Philpott if you are fairly convinced that its not a birth defect, ( I've only hatched quail, no experience of breeding wildfowl) my money would be on fox.
Even then its lucky to be alive.

Roger thank you:)

Dude tell me your name cobra is cool but it's lovely to know first names

No expert here either mate just hatched a damn lot of similar birds (greylag progentitor of most domestic geese chinese I think only exception) my thought was a slight missed /nicked stun type of stoop,as you have described above I know you keep falcons,i've a mate who is one of those mad sods:D (I'd have adore to be one ) I wanted your thoughts really bro you simply know more and that goose is completely amazing to me,I'd just love to know why.

I'm shattered for the life of me can't think if greylag migrate north sure they do ,but brain dead. But if so then gyr poss eagles spring to mind on size,which was what I was musing,Cheers for the imput fox is a fair shout. as injury early in life just don't think it's an incubation thang.
Take my hat of to that bird and thanks for your thoughts Mr cobra very kind mate cheers

Stu

Dude tell me your name cobra is cool but it's lovely to know first names
Its no secret its out there, anyway its "Chris"
I'm shattered for the life of me can't think if greylag migrate north sure they do ,
TBH I don't know either,
But if so then gyr poss eagles spring to mind on size
Gyr is a possibility if they do migrate, but even then a 7lb goose is a handful for a 3.5lb -ish female Gyr.
Goldies / steppes eagles tend to take fur lambs, small deer etc, But I'm not saying they may not have a crack at fur if they are hungry enough.

Its no secret its out there, anyway its "Chris"

TBH I don't know either,

Gyr is a possibility if they do migrate, but even then a 7lb goose is a handful for a 3.5lb -ish female Gyr.
Goldies / steppes eagles tend to take fur lambs, small deer etc, But I'm not saying they may not have a crack at fur if they are hungry enough.

'ey up Chris how doing mate;)
thanks for the reply yes they do go north sorry mate,should know all this but I do hammer myself,ruddy work couldn't think last night..... iceland so that's gyr territory.
Yes a big ask for a gyr . Chris simply I wanted your experience,you live these birds I'd love to know with that goose a cause ,because it is so remarkable that it's doing i'll probably never know,but I'm more educated now than I was so that's no bad thang

cheers mate oh and for what you do for the forum
:cool:

seeya

stu

Back