What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Great shot.

How come you get all these not so common birds in your garden Simon.......:):):)

Thanks Mark,

Jan has kindly answered the luck I get with the different variety of visitors. I have been trying for nearly three years to get the finches to visit though. You may remember, I live at the start of woodland, about 20 meters from my kitchen door. I have some large trees in my garden and hedges, I have four different types of feeders/food and a small brook flows through the garden. So I suppose that all helps.

Luck of the draw, Mark, plus your location, the habitat in your garden, the habitat of the local area, what you feed, how many of your neighbours are feeding, etc, etc, etc. There are a lot of factors. I get a huge number of different birds compared to a friend just a few miles away, both of us in villages but different local environments.

Naaa, Simon has a bird magnet :):):):)

Yeah, they pop in when ever!
But i think the gull will have the last word…
Cool take Roger.

My local Kingfisher Hide has had the windows sealed up to prevent unnecessary disturbance to the nesting birds, hopefully this will mean that they will successfully breed this year, unlike the past two years when the nest has been abandoned. No possibility of using long lenses through the open windows for the present so I went along with the D500 and 300 f4 PF to see what I could capture at the distance involved.
Record shots only but good to see the male active in and around the nest site. :)

View attachment 98515

View attachment 98516

View attachment 98518

View attachment 98517

View attachment 98519

Why not?

Had it not been so cheeky, you wouldn't have gotten the shot, right?
Believe me, it worked the arena like a pro! I'd walk around to the better view point for where I first saw it, but it'd move by the time I got there! And so on throughout the day!

And so on throughout the day!

Then, you were stalking it??? :eek:
I don't blame it… but, had you behave like a hunter and
bate it, it would have gone to the place you wanted it.

What, you can't catch fish? :confused: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
My local Kingfisher Hide has had the windows sealed up to prevent unnecessary disturbance to the nesting birds, hopefully this will mean that they will successfully breed this year, unlike the past two years when the nest has been abandoned. No possibility of using long lenses through the open windows for the present so I went along with the D500 and 300 f4 PF to see what I could capture at the distance involved.
Record shots only but good to see the male active in and around the nest site. :)

wow! love these :)

A Wren from today at Martin Mere, always pleased when I get shots of these little birds.

wren-8479.jpg

Heron Fishing at Martin Mere

I was watching a Grey Heron today fishing, as I've seen them fishing before I knew exactly what to look for before it made it's strike.

They stand quite tall like this when they're hunting, not a great shot....

heron-fishing-1-8399.jpg

My camera on continous shooting mode does around 5fps, so the next 4 shots were on continous shooting mode, I knew as soon as it crouched down like this it had spotted something.

heron-fishing-2-8400.jpg

heron-fishing-3-8401.jpg

heron-fishing-4-8402.jpg

heron-fishing-5-8403.jpg

Funnily enough, the togger next to me pressed his camera shutter at almost the same time, think his managed 6/7 shots in the same time.. but I remember thinking, 'Hope you got that as well'

Back