What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Edit My Images
No
It can get a bit quiet on here ..... so does anyone fancy a general discussion thread mentioning what birds they have seen today with a few comments and details and just an ordinary photo, not a close up or anything special ......... a little background and habitat would be interesting …… to encourage everyone to post and to get more people involved

If so please contribute ......................I’ll start it off from yesterday with a Chaffinch shot.

you can critique the images if you feel like it, but that's not really the purpose, (so I'm sure someone will tell me where I should have put the thread!!)

I'm beginning to see more and more in the garden ….. a couple yesterday ….. but they seem like youngster and not adults.

Lousy weather today - f4 - 1/1000th sec and ISO 3000 type

Chaffinch in the rain

image softened a little - ISO 1100 - f6.3 - 1/800th sec
Chaffy.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread. I'm in Cornwall at the moment and although it's chucking it down I might pop to beach to see what I can get of the resident oystercatchers.

Good idea for a thread.
+1

I had to shoot some installation works at a electro power dam at 09:00. I came
much earlier to inspect the location and had a walk around. Not much going on
but I took two shots of this common pochard to keep the 400mm on its edge!

Last edited:
Green woodpecker in Richmond Park....to fast, or I'm to slow for me to photograph though

Great idea for a thread, Bill! (y)

Just in the process of making some new perches for the back garden.

Went for a walk round the local pond first thing and found a great big stick with lovely, differently-coloured lichen all over it.

Chopping it into bits to make a couple of perches in sand, in a bucket. I can then move them around the garden for different backgrounds, etc.

Well, in theory anyway.

Can't do much work today either, poxy rain!

Another thumbs up for the thread.

Anyway, the weather has been terrible down here over the last 10 dyas or so and the birds have been in hiding from the high winds. Toady is probably the best day for a while as the winds have gone and the rain has eased off a bit and has currently stopped. Like Wez, we have put up some new perches and today is probably the first chance of getting some photos.

As some may know, I back onto woodlands and countryside, so I seem to be fortunate with the amount of birds I see in the garden.

This morning I have seen in the garden:

Blue, Long, Great and Coal Tits, Robin and Tree Sparrows
Collared Doves, Magpies, Wood Pigeons, Female and Male Blackbirds
Nuthatch
Carrion Crows

I read the thread as I was just off to get my lunch and in the space of forty minutes or so, I seen the following in the garden and photographed some.

Fieldfare, I think, will post later for id confirmation.
Nuthatch, Tree Sparrows & Robin
Starling
Collared Doves
Woood Pigeon, Magpies and Sea Gulls?
Blue Tit
Carrion Crow
Female Blackbird

I think thats about it and will post some pics later.

Last edited:
Thanks All - glad you think that it is a good idea - I just felt that it may be an answer to some of the past comments between critique versus others and would also be very interesting to mention and discuss what's around.

It is a pity that it is included in the Critique section as this may offend some

not been out much today because of the weather ...... but SW France is quite similar to the UK

Dunnock, Blue, Great and Marsh Tits .. Chaffinch, male and female Blackbirds, Common Buzzards, Grey Heron, Starlings, Kestrel, and a male and female Blackcap ,,,, which must have decided to stay as I have seen them for a couple of weeks now and I thought that they would have moved on by now

no good shots, but here is a Blackbird high in a Walnut Tree - maybe the focus hit the twig, but I took several and they were all like this

BB_bird.jpg

Turnstones (I think :thinking: ) enjoying a banquet on a seal beach

408_zpsikp6pxsh.jpg

Oooh mammals in the bird forum :p

Doncaster is always special - we lived in Cantley for a few years when I worked for British Ropes, (Bridon), in the 1970's

It's still a great town Bill, and now I have the Yorkshire Wildlife Park over the hedge at the bottom of my garden too :)
Another thumbs up for your Thread idea (y)

Russ

Last edited:
Down at the beach here in Falmouth I saw:
Black headed gulls
Herring gulls
Oystercatchers
Little egret
Kingfisher
Grey wagtail
Curlew
Cormorant

First time out with my new d7200 and got some decent curlew shots I will hopefully get up. Wish I could get the kingfisher but too fast and too much area to cover! It seems to go fishing in the 100s of rockpools at low tide, but knowing which rock pool is the issue!!!

[QUOTE="htid

First time out with my new d7200 and got some decent curlew shots I will hopefully get up. Wish I could get the kingfisher but too fast and too much area to cover! It seems to go fishing in the 100s of rockpools at low tide, but knowing which rock pool is the issue!!![/QUOTE]

For the Kingfisher try to make things easier for yourself, jam a stick in the rocks over a rock pool so the Kingfisher has a perch, pretty sure it
will use it.

I'm so jealous. I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark and the only 'birds' I saw all day were mechanical.............. Hopefully tomorrow when I get home earlier I'll see what's been eating all the food I keep putting out. Ah - forgot the two collared doves on the lamp post when I went out at lunchtime!

just put a bird box up with a camera inside ... I'm good mates with the local Blue Tits so it should be OK

a Christmas present from last year

it's high on the wall and the virginia creeper will cover it nicely next spring

camera_BB.jpg

Just thought I would throw this one in here as it's not for serious crit ...
I spotted a Buzzard in the distance so popped off a shot with the D7200 + 500 + TC 1.7 and it was still small in the frame.
I thought it would be for the bin until a checked it on the laptop and spotted a very brave little Robin in the background ... the Buzzard looked a little puzzled at the defiant little bird! :D

Super-Robin.jpg

Hahaha love that! The robin doesn't seem fazed at all! Hopefully he/she wasn't dinner!

Only common things around today - magpie, wood pigeon, house sparrow, common gull.

Some good shots already, especially as some are not in good light. BTW the turnstones having a banquet are oystercatchers.

Dave

[QUOTE="Tringa, post: 7138307, member: 26244]

BTW the turnstones having a banquet are oystercatchers.

Dave[/QUOTE]

The Turnstones having a banquet ARE Turnstones.

Apologies all. They look uniformly black and white to me and the legs look pink. Must be my monitor, ... or my eyes!

Dave

Just thought I would throw this one in here as it's not for serious crit ...
I spotted a Buzzard in the distance so popped off a shot with the D7200 + 500 + TC 1.7 and it was still small in the frame.
I thought it would be for the bin until a checked it on the laptop and spotted a very brave little Robin in the background ... the Buzzard looked a little puzzled at the defiant little bird! :D

View attachment 50814

is that the fence around your place Roger?

It is a female Blackbird 100%. Technically a member of the Thrush family but not a Thrush. BB all day long!!!!

Back