What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

This goose hangs around with a pair of swans, and has done for around 10 years. He even watches the cygnets whilst mum and dad are away fishing for food. He did have a partner of his own, but unfortunately she died years ago, and he's never found another.

Swan and Goose on River Doon by robert shearer, on Flickr
Sad news. The swan had 7 cygnets, and a fox tried to get them. They all survived, but unfortunately the goose died whilst defending them. :(:(:(

Very sad but an amazing story.
I know. There's an old lady who was caring for the goose a few weeks ago as it had an injured foot. She witnessed it. Apparently 3 of the cygnets were making their way down the river and out to sea, and she caught them with a net and returned them to their mum.

Your fledgling Robin looks like a Dunnock (Hedge Sparrow) to me :)
You might be right but I'm sure I saw an adult robin feeding it earlier. So many fledglings around, so easily confused!!

Gutted!!!!!!!!!! .......:LOL:...I'll have a go at cloning the post later :)

leo resized.jpg

And cloned, not just as bad as I thought

leo resized clonned.jpg

Last edited:
I spotted a Barn Owl at about 5pm yesterday whilst walking my dogs so I cut the walk short, took the dogs home, got my camera and went back to the meadows. I got the Kestrel, Buzzard and Cuckoo before having to go home for some grub. After dinner I decided it was worth another look and just as well it was as a Barn Owl came out and gave a decent flypast albeit in low light so high ISO.

Kestrel
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Buzzard

Cuckoo

Barn Owl

Sitting with the patio door open and the starling brood squabbling on the bird table I'm aware of a squealing sound. On the lawn is a jay stabbing at a frog and chasing it across the grass. It takes a few stabs for the jay to subdue it (whilst being halfheartedly mobbed by one of the blackbirds) but the job gets done, and then the jay takes its prey up into the trees.

Back