What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Have been away on holiday to the Isles Of Scilly during October.

I was treated to this unbelievable view of a Long Eared Owl sat in a bush right next to the path! It sat there most of the day, probably the most photographed Long Eared Owl!

Long Eared Owl by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Long Eared Owl by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

One day I'll get one facing the right way!

020.jpg

Just a corvid

013.jpg

Not my greatest shot, but I was at least pleased to catch this Grebe devouring a small Carp at my local lake. I was in an area where I had caught plenty of these small Carp earlier this year, so when I saw the Grebe I knew there was a good possibility what it would come up with. However, I had been shooting the Red Kites above, so when I quickly aimed and shot a series of the Grebe, the camera was set on +2EV :( Silly mistake, and I felt like a right idiot after it dived again and I looked at the images :mad:

First time I have actually seen any of the birds on this lake catch anything!!

Grebe01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Wigeon and a flight of Canada Geese. Amazing how close the Canada geese fly to each other considering their size.
2ltftkw.jpg

2r795c6.jpg

I got up early this morning to take advantage of the light.
Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve was desperately short of anything out of the usual - the most exciting thing was a pair of amorous Mallards!
Nikon D500, Nikkor 200-500mm, 1/500th @f8, ISO 1000, 500mm.

Amorous Mallards.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of aerial combat going on here, no doubt over territory as they both frequent the trees opposite our home and have spats in the foliage too. About 15-20 combatants involved.

The Jackdaw..always looking very stern..lol.. one of my two favourites along with the Pintail (Male) especially with the evening sun on it..both photogenic. Quite deceiving seeing the Lapwings flying -B&W- there's no hint of this colouring.
http://i67.tinypic.com/1t0mea.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/zk3jbl.jpg

9zo6y0.jpg

r91qwn.jpg

2uyk588.jpg

Cracking capture, I would just like a little more space under them and perhaps in front.

Thanks, MiIke. Very difficult, I have to say. They were ducking and diving at speed .I wasn't getting both birds or sometimes 3 or 4 in the frame so had to pull well back on the lens and then distance became an issue. Also, they suddenly came from behind me too. A real battle.I was quite pleased I just managed to get the best two in the frame . Many had clipped wings and half bodies. They put the RAF to shame..Lol.

Thanks to Roger and Malfis too.(y)

Last edited:
Thanks, MiIke. Very difficult, I have to say. They were ducking and diving at speed .I wasn't getting both birds or sometimes 3 or 4 in the frame so had to pull well back on the lens and then distance became an issue. Also, they suddenly came from behind me too. A real battle.I was quite pleased I just managed to get the best two in the frame . Many had clipped wings and half bodies. They put the RAF to shame..Lol.

Thanks to Roger and Malfis too.(y)

You can cheat a bit and extend the sky in shots like this

wley3r.jpg

Back