What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Lunch any one ?

46614719905_790a0c463a_b.jpg

47530170231_617a8281f7_b.jpg

A surprise pair of Little owls at one of the LEO nest sites last night.

Been visiting this site for 4 years and its the first time I've seen Little owls there

Little Owl CShaw.jpg

Small bird at quite a distance so a heavy crop, but need a bit of ID help if possible.
Heard skylarks around me when I saw this land, and it looks a bit like photos I've seen of them but without a visible crest; can the crest be fully flattened? Or is it something else?

EDIT: Someone has suggested it could be a meadow pipit?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

Last edited:
Went to Tring Reservoir today. All the usual suspects, nothing particularly interesting... But when we went into the tea room, there were some Sparrows flitting about, and I think this is a juvenile. I thought it was a female at first, but looking it up, it looks like a young one...

Mrs Sparrow2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Just a point of information......

Juvenile refers to the bird's plumage when it first leaves the nest. Bearing in mind the date, it's probably unlikely to be a juvenile........

None today. Ive only been to the butchers so far to pick up sausages and didnt see any birds on the way.

Could simply be a case of 'leucism' ... reported to be increasing amongst Blackbirds, Starlings and some other garden birds.
Saw it again briefly today - definitely a blackbird (or black & white bird) My shots were disappointing but at least I got something this time:P1370224_cr.jpg

Back