What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

The odd one out.... I've seen quite a few variants of mallards but never an almost white one.... (I'm assuming it was a mallard as it was with 4 other females....)

odd-one-out-9827.jpg

Very nice indeed Phil (y)

Thanks Chris.
For a fairly heavy crop I have to admit to being pleased with the detail from the D500, cheers

From yesterday, a Jay. A notoriously shy bird ....
And quite rare around here now, they used to be very common at one time :(

Nice pair Geoff (y)

A Singing Jay....

He was having a little sing, first time I've heard one make a noise, I did a bit of a Google for Jay sounds, though none sounded like what I'd heard, but apparently they also mimic other bird noises. The sound I heard was closer to wood pigeons cooing.

jay-0932.jpg

jay-0931.jpg

jay-0934.jpg

A Blackbird

blackbird-1031.jpg

I've been watching this Black-headed Gull on the river at Whalley, it seems to prefer this method of fishing - and very successful too. There's a little tell tale sign, a twitch of it's tail, just before it launches upwards, but obviously totally random to get it with it's beak just touching the water. It also has the ability to swim backwards, another thing it does is to waggle it's feet, you can see the ripples but it's not moving, so I'm assuming it's maybe trying to disturb the fish that are motionless.

bhg-dive-0991.jpg

Male Long-eared out hunting last night

Massive crop through the heat haze but look at the size of the vole!......got to be the biggest I've ever seen

LEO 2.jpg

Looking to replace my G9 with the Olympus EM1MK11 so had a loan camera.

P7170076.jpg

P7170077.jpg

P7170079.jpg

Nature isn't cruel, its just nature, put it as a thumbnail for those that don't want to see it.

P7210038.jpg

Don't tell @Bobsyeruncle but I have just spent most of the afternoon watching kingfishers :p
No I didn't get any pictures, too busy trying to get the reed warbler ;)

Juvenile Moorhen

48381970552_3a12c4390f_b.jpg

GCG with dinner

48381829746_a340c02b43_b.jpg

Reed Warbler. tea for the kids

48381970867_3f3f1cafbd_b.jpg

Nice Reed Warbler shot Ingrid. :clap:

nice photos, I always miss the Reed Warblers a case the time I have focus there gone lol. Although I have just got the software to my lens and has an option to increase the speed of it. so who knows tomorrow.

Nice Reed Warbler shot Ingrid. :clap:

Thank you. it was hunting right in front of me, damn thing wouldn't stay in one place for long though
I think it may have young s it was flying back and forth to the reed bed

Back