What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A lifer for me today with this Snow bunting, local too. What I'd have given for yesterdays sunshine instead of thick freezing fog :banghead:

Suppose there's always tomorrow........

Snow bunting cropped resized e.jpg

Last edited:
A very nice shot of this bird Phil, lovely to see it. :)

Thanks Roger, its me 5th visit, blanked the last 4 times, so very happy to see it.

Going to try again tomorrow, forecast says sun but I won't hold me breath :LOL:

Goldeneye (f) at Brandon Marsh.
Olympus M1 mk ii, 300mm f4 Pro, 1/500th @f4.5, ISO 1000

Goldeneye (f).jpg

First session with the Sigma 100-400, cant say its blown me away but will change a few things before my next go.

DSC_1495.jpg

DSC_1496.jpg

DSC_1497.jpg

Getting fed up of this crap weather and needed to sort settings out, decided to go out anyway and got loads sorted and even came back with this at ISO 32,000:eek:

DSC_2077.jpg

Getting fed up of this crap weather
At least that gave me a little chuckle in this wet stuff of biblical proportions :D

It was looking like it would be a nice day this morning, but of course within about half an hour of me getting out down my local pond it was overcast and starting to rain...

No luck photographing the kingfisher that was flying around, but I did get some shots of a red-breasted merganser that showed up about a week ago:

P1077361.jpg
P1077913.jpg
I've photographed them around the coast, but that's the first one I've seen inland on a town pond.

Normally I only see the similar looking goosanders - there were about two-dozen in the middle of the pond but a couple swam closer:

P1077210.jpg

I've tried a few times but the image just doesn't look balanced with the bird off centre (I don't think the lack of colour variation helps) how about a vertical crop?

Great Tit by Darren Ward, on Flickr

Ah well back to the drawing board, thanks for your thoughts.

Apologies for de-railing the thread a little, I didn't think the picture was good enough to warrent it's own, it was more of a proof of concept post.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no camera with me, but a Dipper (my first ever) on the River Allen at Wimborne in Dorset, right next to all the shops too. Jumped up onto a rock for about 15 secs then took off up river. We were astonished.....

Another day another Beardie.

Bearded Tit by Darren Ward, on Flickr

Very nice Darren(y)

Were you at Old Moor today, the 31st?

Bit of a long shot but I spoke to a chap briefly, he was after the Reed buntings, trying for a reflection, late morning?

I was with a blonde woman in a silly red bobble hat :LOL:........was that you by any chance?

Last edited:
Blimey it's a small world, yes it was me (y)

Didn't quite get the Buntings but I did get this one earlier in the day, it's a bit pants but it was worth a try.

Poor attempt at a reflection. by Darren Ward, on Flickr

Yes, small world :)

We've been going to go to Old Moor for quite sometime, it was your Bearded tit shots that made me have a drive over today. Did manage to get a few later in the afternoon, hazy sun light but heavy'ish crops and high ISO

It was an after thought when you'd said you'd been there everyday for the last 5 days, I'd noticed you had a 200-500 but didn't clock the body, thought it had to be worth asking.

atb, Phil :)

No photos, but I think I saw a hen harrier today, which would be a first for me I think.
It was out on the moors and it rose up from the ground as we walked towards the area.

Back