What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Fledgeling Blue Tit

fledgeling-blue-tit-0847.jpg

Looks like it's been a tough season for this little Robin ... they have had at least two broods.

RJB_3975.jpg

This Starling is trying to organize 6 unruly youngsters but it's looking in better condition than the Robin.

RJB_3920F.jpg

must be the mealworms it's stuffing itself on!

RJB_3914.jpg

A Starling.................looks like 'he' has only just gotten out of the (bird)bath :)

Far from as common as they used to be :(

One from another nest site yesterday evening. This male was noticeably darker/ more buff coloured than the two from the other nest site

The shot was actually underexposed by nearly 3 stops ( I know, nowt to brag about! :oops: :$) so I'm surprised by the detail recovered from the raw :)

LEO 2.jpg

Went back to one of my favourite places today, Thursley Common that suffered a devasting fire just over a week ago
I was trying to get some pictures of the well known cuckoo, but neither sight nor sound today

Really annoyed with myself, I changed lenses to get some landscapes of the damage and typically things happened, so excuse the not too clear pictures
firstly this little chap landed in a shrub near the path, any idea what it is ?

49987370373_c4b565d597_o.jpg

and this is the one that I am really annoyed about, and Im not sure what it is either
49987884836_747969dfa6_o.jpg

Two cameras next visit I think

#1 I think is a Female Dartford Warbler

#2 is a Whimbrel or a Curlew.............but perhaps the former because of the darker wing patch and what seems,even with the shallow PoV angle, the tail is maybe less pointed than the Curlew one???

PS I had no idea Thursley had suffered a big heath fire :(

PPS just Googled about fire on Thursley ~ a whole list of links and one report of 470 acres destroyed :mad:

Last edited:
Yep the entire boardwalk destroyed that was home to the dragonflies
Plants are starting shoot again and plenty of birds around if you have the right lens on the camera :rolleyes:
Weather permitting I'l go back later this week

#2 is a Whimbrel or a Curlew.............but perhaps the former because of the darker wing patch and what seems,even with the shallow PoV angle, the tail is maybe less pointed than the Curlew one???

Just had it ID on surrey birding as a male curlew

Just had it ID on surrey birding as a male curlew

Thanks for the update.....................in hindsight I think the Curlew is more common than the Whimbrel......

Did you get similar feedback as to whether I was correct in regard to image #1 a female Dartford Warbler???

One from this morning, Canon M5 and 100-300mm L with a Kenko extender. Have to say with that setup I felt lucky to get anything vaguely in focus whatsoever. :)

Large crop which quickly turns to mush any bigger, also not sure I have got the water colour correct in post .. looks a little off to me?

Cormorant with fish
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
One from last night, an environment shot (y)..........read as- massive crop because it only came close once and I bl**dy missed it!! :banghead::banghead: :LOL:

LEO.jpg

Had a change last night and went to a local Barn owl site. Things look promising, 5 kills in an hour, all returned back to the nest

Barn owl 1024.jpg

This Mallard comes for breakfast most mornings. This was Saturday's visit and taken from the dining room..hence the bit of carpet to give context.. through the glass of the patio doors. It hangs around for a few minutes after arriving (photo 1)and then comes to the dining room patio doors (photos 2 & 3) to let me know it's there. It can see me in the living room.When I get up to get some seed for it, it walks to its left over to the door of the side extension where it knows I go out into the garden and makes low level quacking noises as I step out with the bird seed..Maybe excitement/anticipation knowing breakfast is about to be served :)

Lately, this gull has been calling in to drink from the pond.

The robin is on my car ariel. Taken yesterday through the living room window.The black bg is the gap from the ground to lowest branches/leaves under the trees across the road ..it's about 40m away.
15 (15 of 1).jpg

16 (16 of 1).jpg

17.jpg

18 (18 of 1).jpg

19 (19 of 1).jpg

Nice sharp Robin John. (y)
The Mallard is probably saying, "come on you're late again!" :LOL:

We get the odd Lesser Black-backed Gull coming in to pinch the Fox food, they are a nuisance but seem to have food radar!
I take it out later now so that they can't scoff it all!

Nice sharp Robin John. (y)
The Mallard is probably saying, "come on you're late again!" :LOL:

We get the odd Lesser Black-backed Gull coming in to pinch the Fox food, they are a nuisance but seem to have food radar!
I take it out later now so that they can't scoff it all!

Thanks, Roger..Sharp robin...that’s cheered me up..lol.

Sometimes the mallard comes at 6.30 am . I hear it crash onto the pond..I let it know I’m on the way...lol. One day in summer, a few years ago, I counted 13 mallards on the lawn..male and female.

I don’t usually put out bread but when I do the gulls are on it very quickly. The must just do continuous fly-overs checking out lawns. It’s never one but half a dozen.

@Haldir

The Coot looks to have plenty of detail Pete, was the heron a heavy'ish crop?

I seem to have gained a little friend, it turned up a few days ago. And now doesn't go too far.
Well that is it goes off to roost before dark, and is back in the morning.
So it can most certainly fly, but is unfazed by me dragging the hose around the garden, It just steps over it.
Here its sheltering by my Bonsai stands Its nice and shady there, if it rains, I have a small over hang that it tucks it self in.
And yes I'm keeping it well fed (y)

047.jpg

I seem to have gained a little friend, it turned up a few days ago. And now doesn't go too far.
Well that is it goes off to roost before dark, and is back in the morning.
So it can most certainly fly, but is unfazed by me dragging the hose around the garden, It just steps over it.
Here its sheltering by my Bonsai stands Its nice and shady there, if it rains, I have a small over hang that it tucks it self in.
And yes I'm keeping it well fed (y)

View attachment 284452
A little lost soul ... or is it in self-isolation? :LOL:

A little lost soul ... or is it in self-isolation? :LOL:
:LOL:

Well, it does seem to step aside when the woodies come down for a feed :D

I’m really enjoying my new found interest in bird photography. I suppose that’s something good coming from Covid-19, at least for me, but getting increasingly frustrated by the limitations of my gear and my skill level. This is shot at the furthest reach of the lens and a big crop to boot. I’m hoping it’s a pied wagtail, but I’m probably wrong

Pied Wagtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
but getting increasingly frustrated by the limitations of my gear
Don't think that way Steve, your'll fall into a bloody great money pit, that its hard to crawl out of :D

Nice image and yes I'd say pied wagtail. (y)

Pied wagtail 100% Steve

Crawl into that money pit fella - better gear usually equates to better images, I've not looked back since I went Sony a7Riv + Sony 200-600mm G lens and ditched the Sony DSLR's

It's only money :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les :)

Another dull day, however well pleased at catching Cormorant in flight even if its not great, I got it and stopped its wings, small improvements I appreciate but what fun !
cormorant.jpg
I think this is Lapwing ?

lapwing.jpg

This Egret was having the same luck as me with catching.....
egret999.jpg

Attachments

• lapwing3.jpg
    lapwing3.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 6
Back