What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Grey Heron fly by along the river :) Sony a7Riv + Sony 200-600mm

fMwu9pQ.jpg

The water fowl here ( Somerset) have not even nested yet let alone produced a week old chick - you must live abroad then?

Les :)

Out on walk today with the EM1 MkII and an adapted Super Ozeck 135mm F/2.8. This is a jpg that I tweaked the sharpness a little and dehazed (and minor cropped) in Luminar 4. I'll play with the raw files when I have time.

Robin
by Morris Bagnall, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just had a major catch up, I had no notifications for ages and thought everyone had gone quiet, then sought out the thread out and found three pages of photos!
All absolutely fabulously enviable.

I did get a couple of nice Egret reflections today plus one that made me smile ....I think I’ll name it Pass The Toilet Roll :)

Egret by Susiejb, on Flickr

by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a quick question (not worth its own thread) for any bird togs - if you are on Auto ISO what do you set the minimum shutter to?

Cheers for any replies :)

There's no correct answer Mike, it all depends on the situation, available light, small garden bird, perched owl, how essential is the hit rate......I could go on :D

As a general rule, I'm always around 1/1250th but, depending on any of the above, I might go as low as needed and hope there's no motion blur from the bird or camera shake hand held.

Perfect example above, Twite hand held, waving camera and lens about, good light 1/1250th

Grey wag in shadow, but I could rest the camera/lens on a wall so 1/320th, took quite a few, half were keepers due to birds rapid movement.

There's no correct answer Mike, it all depends on the situation, available light, small garden bird, perched owl, how essential is the hit rate......I could go on :D

As a general rule, I'm always around 1/1250th but, depending on any of the above, I might go as low as needed and hope there's no motion blur from the bird or camera shake hand held.

Perfect example above, Twite hand held, waving camera and lens about, good light 1/1250th

Grey wag in shadow, but I could rest the camera/lens on a wall so 1/320th, took quite a few, half were keepers due to birds rapid movement.
Thanks a lot Phil - lately I have been shooting small birds in the park (very casual stuff, just while out for a walk) and definitely missing a lot of shots due to a too-slow shutter. I'm currently at 1/250 minimum shutter so I might try 1/500 (provided the light is ok of course as my RX10 prefers a low-ish ISO if possible) (y)

ps - love the Twite

This one is completely OOF but can anyone tell me what type of bird it is please? Might be a LTT as posted above but I don't know.

Rich (BB code):

Last edited:
Back