What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A simple image of a Blackbird ...

Walk out this morning, bit of a variety.

IMG_2587_Jpg
by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

IMG_2567_Jpg

IMG_2385_Jpg

IMG_2631_Jpg

Saw this kingfisher above the water on a telephone wire, this was 600mm away and it's 100% crop ... not seen one there before but unfortunately there is no way of acessing the land below where I saw it so looks like that's the best I will be getting.

IMG_2467_Jpg

Some disagreement of what variety of bunting this was, I'm going with a reed bunting

51049027096_7aaa2ff62c_o.jpg

Yep, looks like a female Reed Bunting :)
Agree with Roger - a Reed Bunting (possibly first winter male?), Ingrid.
Russ :)

Thank you, there was some discussion of it being a little bunting as one has been seen before,
but apart from it being a pale version I still thought reed bunting
Bit miffed seems I might have missed a new one for me, Rustic Bunting in one of my fave places
I'm not supposed to go to

A long walk trying to spot the elusive Sea Eagles and Heron Swopped in to land, whilst a Marsh Harrier hovered overhead. I did spot 3 Sea Eagles but they never got close enough for a half decent picture... tomorrows another day !
Heron Landing.jpgMarsh Harrier.jpg

A question for you bird guys please. We had a couple of Goldfinches today. Although we get plenty of other birds the Goldfinches are quite rare. We have the usual feeders and fat balls etc. We are close to open fields and have a massive garden with many shrubs, plants, an oak tree hawthorn with trees next door and nearby. Sth Yorks.
What can I do to attract and hold them?

Firstly, you'll need to give them some cover - they don't like their backs exposed to the sky for very long. It's best to have a tree or bush nearby.

Feed them on nyjer seeds and sunflower hearts. A feeder with a plate on the bottom is favourite.

Lastly, it may take them a month or two before they come to your feeders.

A question for you bird guys please. We had a couple of Goldfinches today. Although we get plenty of other birds the Goldfinches are quite rare. We have the usual feeders and fat balls etc. We are close to open fields and have a massive garden with many shrubs, plants, an oak tree hawthorn with trees next door and nearby. Sth Yorks.

Use nyjer seeds in your feeders.

Firstly, you'll need to give them some cover - they don't like their backs exposed to the sky for very long. It's best to have a tree or bush nearby.

Feed them on nyjer seeds and sunflower hearts. A feeder with a plate on the bottom is favourite.

Lastly, it may take them a month or two before they come to your feeders.
Use nyjer seeds in your feeders.

I tried nyjer seeds, nothing was interested. In fact tits and sparrows just threw it out to get to the good stuff.
Will try the sunflower hearts in a different location. Thanks gents.

I tried nyjer seeds, nothing was interested.

In my last garden, it took about three months of putting out nyjer seed before the goldfinches showed any interest. They would go to my neighbours feeders, but they wouldn't come to mine.

Initially, I tried this feeder: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SL7LD3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They wouldn't go near it, I just kept throwing the seed away.

Then @Dale. suggested one with a plate underneath, so I bought this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KGGT19Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That did the job, it was only a week or two until they started feeding. Then the little sods decided the first one was alright after all and used that too, but only when it was near the other one and their mates were close by.

Last edited:
I tried nyjer seeds, nothing was interested. In fact tits and sparrows just threw it out to get to the good stuff.
Will try the sunflower hearts in a different location. Thanks gents.
I had to move my nyjer seed feeders away from the rest of the feeders before the goldfinches would use them.....

I had to move my nyjer seed feeders away from the rest of the feeders before the goldfinches would use them.....

Mrs Cockney has banned nyger seeds. Other burds slung the everywhere and they all sprouted. Took her ages to clear.
I have authorisation to use sunflower hearts. :)

Back