What could I Have Done Different?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this shout a few years ago when i literarily knew nothing about photography. Now leaning all over again both on the photography front and editing front - I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the editing of this picture. Personally, looking at the two now - i may have made the clouds a little lighter - whats your thoughts?

Thank you

After
Home Time: Brighton Old Pier by Jason Palmer Photography, on Flickr

Before

J

Last edited:
I'd have left it in colour... and held the camera straight in the first place to avoid unnecessary editing. Your camera got a horizon aid thingy?

Quite like the shot though. Kind of a metaphor for most British seaside towns these days. Dead.

I'd have left it in colour... and held the camera straight in the first place to avoid unnecessary editing. Your camera got a horizon aid thingy?

Quite like the shot though. Kind of a metaphor for most British seaside towns these days. Dead.

No mate. It was a well old camera. Don't even have it anymore. D3000 I think it was.

Is it no straight? Looked like it in Lr with the leveller

You could have colour popped one of the deck chairs...

:exit:
Thanks mate. Tbh I'm not a fan of colour in back n whites.... Always reminds me of telephone boxes and post boxes done on crap canvasses from IKEA ha ha

No mate. It was a well old camera. Don't even have it anymore. D3000 I think it was.

Is it no straight? Looked like it in Lr with the leveller

The black and white one is straight, yes... you must have straightened it. The colour one is well wonky though :)

Personally I'd lose some of the space at the bottom and maybe go for a 16x9 or 3x2 crop...

Last edited:
Personally I'd lose some of the space at the bottom and maybe go for a 16x9 or 3x2 crop...

Thank you for the ideas. Looks good.

Do you think that having the space at the bottom gives a greater feeling of the beach being empty?

Yes, and I do take pictures of emptiness but with this example I thought that the points of interest were a bit too central so I've tried to push them down the image a bit and include a higher percentage of sky. I do know what you mean by including emptiness and as I said I do do that myself but it sometimes means more to us than to others.

I can see how you would prefer the original and it's emptiness and the option of changing it up can be taken or left. I suppose what's right / wrong can only be decided by you.

I often keep more than one version of a shot like this, one that I like and one that other people might like :D

Actually I might have taken this shot in portrait orientation if the sky was interesting enough but there wasn't enough room in your original for me to do a portrait crop.

Last edited:
Maybe a good point would be to go half the way between the original and where you have taken it.... It was a pretty dull day if I recall. Thank you for the tips and advice. Cheers.

I'm gonna have to disagree... I think the space works for exactly the reason the OP suggested. Composition isn't about rules or prescriptive formulas or symmetry.. it's about feeling. You shouldn't be "measuring" anything in a photograph... not one like this anyhow. Put side by side, Alan's crop looks neater than the OP's, sure... but I no longer feel it as much. Unless you're trying to win a camera club competition, forget all that... the original crop has the loneliness and slight sadness... as if everything was abandoned. Alan's now looks like it was arranged, or set up for the shot... it's killed it dead.

Last edited:
Pookie. Nothing kills anything dead. There are different choices and often there are many choices with the same scene and there's the choice to have different versions of the same shot.

interesting stuff - this is why i like to post on things like this - its always good to hear other peoples views on this type of thing.

When all said and done I guess its what feels right for you? which is obviously why we have these different opinions - which, in its self is great right? if you can learn from one photo and take peoples views and use in in another...

...I was at a Camera club not too long back and the top three images out of the 5 that won were (in my opinion) shocking - but hay, what do i know? - I guess grain/noise isnt that bad after all - always learning! But one thing i have learnt in the past two months is - make sure your happy with a picture before you send/post anywhere AND always be open to other peoples opinions

Cheers guys

J

Pookie. Nothing kills anything dead. There are different choices and often there are many choices with the same scene and there's the choice to have different versions of the same shot.

My opinion. You don't necessarily have to agree with it :) For me, your crop made it sterile and too organised. That may be what the OP wants for all I know. It's nice to have a balanced view though isn't it?

Absolutely David. I've only been shooting/learning for a couple of months so I'm trying to absorb as much feedback, tips, advice as I can. The above shot was taken in 2010 with a camera i bought to see if i liked photography - then it got stolen! so recently i started again and love it even more!

It was a lucky shot in all honesty - i think it was taken from the little train that runs along Brighton's sea front - either way i quite like it
Oh.. you keep saying "OP" what does that mean? at first i thought you were referring to "Original Picture"

Absolutely David. I've only been shooting/learning for a couple of months so I'm trying to absorb as much feedback, tips, advice as I can. The above shot was taken in 2010 with a camera i bought to see if i liked photography - then it got stolen! so recently i started again and love it even more!

It was a lucky shot in all honesty - i think it was taken from the little train that runs along Brighton's sea front - either way i quite like it
Oh.. you keep saying "OP" what does that mean? at first i thought you were referring to "Original Picture"

OP = Original Poster. Silly internet abbreviations... forgive me. You in other words :) The author of the original, top post.

I see what you did there.... LOL

My opinion. You don't necessarily have to agree with it :) For me, your crop made it sterile and too organised. That may be what the OP wants for all I know. It's nice to have a balanced view though isn't it?

I rarely agree with your posts :D

I understand the point of space and emptiness and I think that goes well with the decay of the structure in the sea. I get it and I do a lot of this but there's a but :D and it's my personal but which can be considered and rejected or accepted, whatever. It's all opinion and food for thought.

My own issue with the original shot is that it's very square on and central. The chairs, the structure the central framing. It's all lined up and central and that might well be the point and if it is, job done.

An alternative when going for space and emptiness (with the same camera/lens/focal length) could be to go for more of it and that could well come from including more of the foreground and perhaps thinking also about changing the square on relationship between the chairs and the structure to maybe create some lines and something to lead the eye a bit more rather than the up front smack in the face that the square on middle of the shot approach goes for.

There isn't enough room in foreground in the original shot to include more foreground in a crop but there could have been the option of changing the composition at the time of shooting.

The following are things I'd probably have considered. I might have rejected them and gone for exactly the same as the original shot but at least these things may well have crossed my mind...

- include more foreground to convey the emptiness, tilt the camera down and move the chars and structure further up the frame.
- include more sky, for the same reason but achieving a different emptiness, chairs and structure further down in the frame.
- move to the left or right to change the relationship of the chairs, structure and shoreline to create something to draw eyes in and around the frame rather than going for a straight on approach.

All are options, not necessarily right or wrong and not rules.

Many artists past and present painted different versions of the same picture and there's nothing wrong with taking the same shot from different angles and positions and seeing which tells the story best or which simply looks best. As I said in an earlier post what I sometimes do is produce two images, one for me and one that's a bit more... mainstream. In ten years time I might even change which one I like best.

{Shrug}

Stop trashing the guys thread. I have an opinion, you have another one. The OP can think for himself.

The OPs question is what could he have done differently, well I would have moved more to the right which would have retained Pookyheads sense of loneliness and also delivered woofwoofs composition. If the OP refined his question to how should he post process the image I have to say if I was voting in a camera club competition I would vote for woofwoofs 16 x 9 edit.

I dream of subjects like this :)

Last edited:
Back