What do you do with your prints

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the first time I printed one of my own photos I’ve very much liked getting prints done every few months or so. However, there are only so many photos that you can have up on the wall, and after the initial enjoyment of having and looking at the prints I find they just end up in a box. It almost feels like a waste.

What do you do with your prints? Do you just look through them periodically? Do you just like having a ‘physical record’ of your photos? Do you get photobooks done instead and look through these more regularly? Anything creative you do with them like creating your own ‘book’ of them by binding them together?

Where is the satisfaction for you?

1. Framed and on the wall - not always hung, because I also have some narrow picture shelves (that I made) which make it easy to shuffle the selection on them.
2. Stored in archival boxes, with some sleeved in clear polyester for handling. These are a resource that I can draw on for portfolio purposes.
3. Framed & given to friends (occasionally).
4. Exhibited where possible.
5. Printed in photobooks.

I like having prints on show so that they are seen every day. In book form I don't look at them so often, but they're available to show to others ...

Last edited:
Very similar to Droj.

2 rails in my office with picture wire running along that I hang prints from. Blue tack on one wall to pretty much cover it :)

In terms of satisfaction, the print is the whole point of it for me. Holding the finished image takes me back to the moment I was there and I feel like I've completed something.

That final print also makes me very conscious of improvement. I have to look at my office walls and decide what to remove to put it up. Sometimes it's not good enough, sometimes it is. These days, the prints have to be pretty good to warrant wall space.

Photobooks are nice too, but nothing beats a beautifully printed 13x19. That's the perfect size for me.

Anything creative you do with them like creating your own ‘book’ of them by binding them together?
Missed that bit - yes, that's something on my to-do list!

nothing beats a beautifully printed 13x19
I don't think that there's an overall ideal size. Some images are most natural / effective smaller - perhaps ones with large areas of even colour and not much detail for example, which might look bland above 10x8 ...

A few framed, a few in clip frames and lots blu-taked up. Lots of 7x5 and 6x4 flip albums. A couple of loose leaf binders with A4 prints in clear sleeves and one A3+ portfolio.

Similar to droj really:

1. I am a member of a group called Lancashire Monochrome and we meet monthly to present and discuss our prints. We also have a gallery space in a local hotel that I curate, and I occasionally put some of my own in there.
2. I have a few on the walls of my study, I tend to circulate these due to lack of wall space.
3. I’m just starting to reprint a portfolio. It’s a few years since I last did it and my processing and printing has improved vastly since then. It’s useful to show to curators when planning the next one on the list.....
4. Exhibitions - I’ve had four solo exhibitions so far in museums and galleries across the county and have a meeting planned shortly to discuss my next in a town art gallery.

Back