What do you think to this photo (Honest opinions please)

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
So! Ive been doing Wildlife photography for about a year now and ive still got soooooo much to learn! And i think one of the main things is my Lightroom skills!

I seem to have a work flow where my images are quite moody at times, I do like to try and keep as much detail as i can. So ive uploaded this photo of a Red Kite which ive just edited and id love to hear your views on the edits ive made and the overall look of the photo.

My Flickr page is linked below i think so feel free to check my other work out.

But if theres anything you can suggest about my editing or what not then please dont hold back and let me know! :)

Thanks for any help
Chilt

Attachments

• IMG_6046-2.jpg
    IMG_6046-2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 114
Looking at it on Flickr, I think it’s a great catch, colours (IMO) look just fine, shows the couloirs well, lighting looks nice.

All in all I like it

I like it as it is, not sure I could suggest anything to improve it. Sory if that doen't help much.

Looking at it on Flickr, I think it’s a great catch, colours (IMO) look just fine, shows the couloirs well, lighting looks nice.

Thank you very much! I just haven’t had any really feedback so just wanted a true opinion.
Thanks
Chilt

All in all I like it
I like it as it is, not sure I could suggest anything to improve it. Sory if that doen't help much.

No this is great thank you! It’s a honest opinion and that’s what I’m looking for :)
Thanks
Chilt

nice sharp shot ,unfortunately red kites are a bird that needs blue skies to give them oomph

I agree with sk66 Steven when he says it is underexposed. However, I think that his edit is too much the other way and lacks contrast 'bite' as well as colour but most of his work I have seen is like that and it's obviously a style he likes.

I use CaptureOne rather than Lightroom but their adjustment sliders are similar. I would try moving the Shadows slider to bring out some of the detail lost in the dark shadows.

IMO, it is underexposed... could be a monitor brightness issue.

View attachment 254976
Thanks for the input, I think I tend to find that quite a few of my shots end up being a bit under exposed and I’ll take it into consideration, thank you for your input
Chilt
nice sharp shot ,unfortunately red kites are a bird that needs blue skies to give them oomph

I know! Would have been lovely but the it was taken was just really overcast, and I ain’t really 100% sure on how to make it more blue in Lightroom if you get me without it looking “edited” thanks for your input
Chilt

I agree with sk66 Steven when he says it is underexposed. However, I think that his edit is too much the other way and lacks contrast 'bite' as well as colour but most of his work I have seen is like that and it's obviously a style he likes.

I use CaptureOne rather than Lightroom but their adjustment sliders are similar. I would try moving the Shadows slider to bring out some of the detail lost in the dark shadows.

Okay yeah! Later on I’ll try moving the shadows up a bit and see how that turns out :)

Thanks for the input!
Chilt

As said needs a blue sky to make it pop

Like this - (just for fun) :) 3 mins in Photoshop CC

VAOl1t4.jpg

Les

Only because you asked. I also think it needs a slight touch of shadow raising. Another point is that it looks soft like you have used noise reduction or it could be a case of incorrect sharpening or the quality output when exported.

Only because you asked. I also think it needs a slight touch of shadow raising. Another point is that it looks soft like you have used noise reduction or it could be a case of incorrect sharpening or the quality output when exported.

Thanks for you input, I agree with the shadow being raised a bit, I tend to add too much shadow to my pictures! I need to take it on board! And yeah I did reduce quite a bit of noise and maybe I should have highlighted the red kite to add a bit more detail
Back but was seeming to add too much noise if you get me?

Thanks
Chilt

As said needs a blue sky to make it pop

Like this - (just for fun) :) 3 mins in Photoshop CC

VAOl1t4.jpg

Les
i see a tutorial coming shortly ???;)

I'll look forward to seeing that Scott
i was expecting to be the cameraman for you while you do an in-depth PS tutorial ??:p

Hi, Nick, the shot you posted is, as others have said, suffering from underexposure, and although the weather looks overcast it still looks a bit flat.

What did you do with it in lightrooom? If you're after specific details, then its best to post an original, along with whatever you did with the shot in PP - that was we can see what specifics were changed. If you want me to take a look at the RAW file just let me know.

Pose wise its a very nice, typical red kite dorsal view - head angle is nice, flight angle is spot on - slightly towards the camera, good view of the tail feathers, and personally I like the curled primaries,

Mike

Back