What do you use as a Hide?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Looking to buy some sort of portable hide but what kind to buy?
The fancy one that expands into a tent shape, The camouflage bag Hide, A single piece of netting that I can hang from a tree branch or bamboo cane or the jacket and trousers option.
I live on Rhodes and the ground here is very barren in some places evn at the reservoir there is not a lot of cover down to the waters edge.
Trying to get close to the water fowl is very difficult.
Thankyou,
Russ

The only time I would use a hide is in the open; I mean
a clearance in the woods and alike.

For a Canadian, though, it would have to have at least
very good air conditioning… I will not again sit in a hide
in full Sun ever. :exit:

With the lenses and bodies at my disposal, I don't need
to be so close to the subject.

I know, this does not answer your question! :coat:

Tent hide (pop-up) will give you more flexibility IMO.

I have a two man pop up hide. once it's up it's not portable, and a big sheet of scrim netting. But no amount of hide (unless it's a permanent one they have already got used to), is as good as honing your field craft skills to get close. Having said that, I totally understand waterfowl. Can't exactly swim out to them without being seen can you. My advice would be to get a pop up hide and set up as early as you can, and then wait it out. You'll appreciate the sides if it's windy too. Nice flask of hot chocolate and it can be quite cosy.

Not sure how much of a problem being cold will be on Rhodes.

As Tim says, fieldcraft is your best bet for getting close, followed by patience and maybe some netting if you can leave it set up for a while.

There is no hide which will cover all eventualities. Pop up is fine in many instances unless the ground is hard and the wind blowing. Pop up with integral seat is good in windy hard ground conditions but no good if ground very uneven or sloping, For me the most important thing if i am staying in one place for several hours is that i am comfortable! Scrim/netting has its place but wildlife is not keen on material blowing around in the wind and it gives no protection against weather. size does not matter to most wildlife so I favour a large 2 man popup for most circumstances where i can install a good seat and have the tripod/camera back in the hide for weather protection.

Regen

I don't normally use one, or wear camo...
I do have a pop-up, almost never use it. I also have netting that works as both a bag hide and a screen. I use that more often, but still seldom.

Back