What does you Desktop look like?

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Just for fun.- sorry about the Phone image in bad light :) :) :)

I think mine is quite tidy :) How's yours?????

gZ06vLe.jpg

Les :)

I feel it needs to be full up and I can find things easily- maybe I am in the minority to all you desktop tidy folk

Perhaps it should be a "show us your start menu" thread :) Much of my access to tools and applications is via the start menu with everything grouped into useful categories. In all honesty, my PC gets used for photography (PS, LR and Epson Scanners), admin (Word, Excel, Outlook) and gaming (mostly through Steam). All my regularly accessed folders are on the Quick Menu in Explorer. That's not a lot of things to use a computer for.

Usage will dictate tidiness too. My work laptop is a bit more cluttered simply because I'm worklng with more applications and I have less control over where things go.

Perhaps it should be a "show us your start menu" thread :) Much of my access to tools and applications is via the start menu with everything grouped into useful categories. In all honesty, my PC gets used for photography (PS, LR and Epson Scanners), admin (Word, Excel, Outlook) and gaming (mostly through Steam). All my regularly accessed folders are on the Quick Menu in Explorer. That's not a lot of things to use a computer for.

Usage will dictate tidiness too. My work laptop is a bit more cluttered simply because I'm worklng with more applications and I have less control over where things go.

Well, every day is indeed a school day. Never noticed the Quick Access menu in File Explorer :)

GC

To clarify what I do to make a completely icon free desktop, right click the taskbar and check toolbar for the desktop.
It appears like two little arrows bottom right and you have taskbar autohide too. You can make additional slide-up things like this for commonly used folders
Also right click on desktop and under 'view' don't show icons.
Then all you have is your background picture or whatever.

It's more efficient because like now you are looking at TalkPhoto, you suddenly want to access something as an icon on your desktop?
You have to minimise at least one window whereas if it's on a slide-up you can just mouse down there and leave the browser window open2021-02-09.jpg

Last edited:
What does “Desktop” mean. I have a varying number (6 +) of Spaces with deliberately different backgrounds etc, doesn't everyone, at least on Mac & Linux, doesn’t Windows have that yet?

There's no sense in showing mine - it has nothing except the current wallpaper picture.

IMO there's nothing worse than icons all over the screen - no matter how tidy you think they may be; to me it's just a mess.

My regularly used programs are on the Task Bar (which auto hides), the rest are where they're supposed to be - in the Start Menu.

To clarify what I do to make a completely icon free desktop, right click the taskbar and check toolbar for the desktop.
It appears like two little arrows bottom right and you have taskbar autohide too. You can make additional slide-up things like this for commonly used folders
Also right click on desktop and under 'view' don't show icons.
Then all you have is your background picture or whatever.

It's more efficient because like now you are looking at TalkPhoto, you suddenly want to access something as an icon on your desktop?
You have to minimise at least one window whereas if it's on a slide-up you can just mouse down there and leave the browser window openView attachment 308239

Oh my Gooodddd thank you for this. My work laptop is cluttered with icons of things I can't move or delete and I've always hated a busy looking desktop. 6 clicks and they're all gone. Just how it should be :D

Thats because things are easier to find and to do on a Mac ;)

Honestly I've always resisted but recently needed a large screen for Zoom conferencing and an iMac seemed the way to go.
Got a 21.5" and a 27" and the 27" is brilliant for Zoom ... I've just installed Affinity Photo on the 21.5", (which I couldn't install on my laptop), and Nik plugins works with it too!
Amazingly I don't think I would go back now. :thinking:

mine is organised but messy....
to the left- short cuts to programs and sets of files.
to the right- things in progress, (E desktop, contains things not yet filed or completed)
most things are a single click away.

To me a clean desktop is simply out of sight is out of mind.

desk snip.JPG

Last edited:
I notice that all the Mac desktops have the dock at the default, bottom, position. Is the a reason for that? Given the ‘landscape’ shape of most screen I’ve always put it at the left (and hiding plus magnifying).

Hmmm, I seem to have more cluttered desktops in every sense compared to others. Oh well, it works for me...24'' is for Lightroom 6.14 and some of my work, 27" for Affinity and most other things:
IMG_0749.jpg

I notice that all the Mac desktops have the dock at the default, bottom, position. Is the a reason for that? Given the ‘landscape’ shape of most screen I’ve always put it at the left (and hiding plus magnifying).

I've tried the dock on the side but then it takes up valuable screen space (I have Chrome covering most of the 21.5" screen with Twitter on the right hand side).

Mine has always been like that since OS X was first introduced way back in 2001

I've tried the dock on the side but then it takes up valuable screen space (I have Chrome covering most of the 21.5" screen with Twitter on the right hand side).

Interesting.If the dock is “hiding” it doesn’t take any space. I use a multi button wired mouse (currently a cheapo Tecknet from Amazon) and have Exposé set to the thumb button and apps assigned to various Spaces, or ‘None’ as appropriate. My most used space is Mail maximised with InfoClick* maximised alongside it in the one maximised space.

* I’ve always found InfoClick search for Mail invaluable, it’s $15 but I bought it maybe 20 years ago and have never paid for an update I think. Vastly superior to the Search in Mail, at any rate if you have several accounts, as I do:

Interesting.If the dock is “hiding” it doesn’t take any space. I use a multi button wired mouse (currently a cheapo Tecknet from Amazon) and have Exposé set to the thumb button and apps assigned to various Spaces, or ‘None’ as appropriate. My most used space is Mail maximised with InfoClick* maximised alongside it in the one maximised space.

* I’ve always found InfoClick search for Mail invaluable, it’s $15 but I bought it maybe 20 years ago and have never paid for an update I think. Vastly superior to the Search in Mail, at any rate if you have several accounts, as I do:

Hidden dock just annoys me tbh. I still use the magic mouse, the less buttons the better when it comes to my fingers!

Hidden dock just annoys me tbh. I still use the magic mouse, the less buttons the better when it comes to my fingers!

Everyone’s different! But even not “hiding” the side seems more efficient to me. I suppose not true if you have one of those ultra wide screens or 3 side by side, mine‘s just 27” I think ( cheapo Apple Thunderbolt Display -- cheapo because ‘used’ from local Amazon employee upgrading :) )

I do have an Apple Trackpad 1 but it’s a bit flaky on recent MacOS :( though I can use it at the same time as the wired mouse.

Is that a RainMeter skin - and if so, which one? Your Start icon is pretty funky

The transparent clock thinngummy is from Rainmeter - Elegant Clock.

Start Icon is probably being messed around with by the fact i'm running Stardock Fences and Start10. Can't remember which one messes around with it if i'm honest, it's been on there so long.

my one is totally covered in Apps, you guys have some seriously clean desktops

in my case it's more to do with running Fences. double click on the desktop and it hides everything in a fence group.

aught to get to grips with virtual desktops instead really, now its a part of W10, but I just cba taking the time to adapt.

My one is BIGGER than your Les lol The bird I mean. Another crap phone shot like yours lol.

IMG_20210209_171054.jpg

Back