What Have Been Your Positives From 2020?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
We were talking at work about how rubbish this year has been for everyone, and the conversation turned to what good has come from the year for us individually. Some were really struggling to find anything positive from 2020.

My positives have been:

Thanks to visits between lockdowns, and FaceTime, I have been able to see my grandson growing up. He’ll be 1 on November 2nd.

Having holidays in Spain and France before COVID-19 took hold.

From having never ridden a motorbike at the start of the year, I am now loving riding my Triumph Tiger every day.

I haven’t succumbed to COVID-19.

What are your positives from 2020?

Last edited:
Finally got around to start writing the book I've been putting off for decades, first draft now done.

Bought a camera to try to get myself back into photography.

Coming out of 4 months of furlough and still having a job.

Managed to avoid contact with many more people than usual. ':D

My daughter bought her first house, bungalow actually and got settled in
Also my wife decided to retire and left last Friday, about time she had a rest and not a good time to be in education.

Last edited:
I enjoy mountain biking but during the lock down it was just door-door excercise and the trails I use are 30 miles away. I decided to get a road bike and loving it. Coming up to 800 miles covered on it, also still mountain biking. Unfortunately parts of Wales are now in lock down so it's the forest of Dean for my off roading until things settle down.

Lots of hot sunny weather.
Nowhere to go or little to do, means plenty of money saved.
Not being able to visit the sister in law and her rabble of 5 noisy kids.
Not being able to visit the mother and father in law much and having to listen to the father in laws ramblings, or getting a splitting headache because the father in law is deaf, won't turn up his hearing aids, so everyone shouts and because more than one conversation is taking place, everyone shouts louder and louder so they cam be heard.
Looking forward to spending money again when gigs and BTCC racing attendance can resume, but not looking forward to normality when we can visit the in laws again.

Being a relatively non-social person has turned out to be a good thing to be!
Saved a few quid while not allowed and/or not fancying eating out.

I can think of two things.

Me and the Mrs (mostly her) are taking more interest in growing things. We've bought a cold frame and are growing things in that, pots and tubs and hanging bottles.

Many years ago I had a serious back injury. I've always exercised and incorporating things my physio showed me eases the serious episodes and in fact I haven't had any serious issues for a long time now although my back sometimes gets a bit stiff. I've always been thin and will never be a Mr Universe but refining the exercises / physio I do most days has kept me mobile and fit and has given me the best musculature and body I've had for years.

Oh, and on health, I haven't had any even remotely serious illness since leaving work over 10 years ago. Coincidence? :D

Last edited:
Firstly, the same as most people I suppose - saving money.

Secondly, staying out of the pub - something I've tried to do for almost fifty years and have so far failed miserably.

Lastly, less unannounced visits - nothing annoys me more than people just turning up on the doorstep without letting you know they're coming.

Same as last month
:D

Same as last month
:D

I obviously missed that thread!

I've so far lost almost 2st and I'm considerably fitter too :)

Finally had time to get the new website up & running

Changed my gear for Weddings considerably by buying/selling all secondhand and not spent that much really, so now I'm shooting in a different way too, which I love

Had far more time for walks and a holiday with my wife

Got a great tan lol

Dave

Loads to be honest! COVID forced me to face some hard truths about my lifestyle, what I eat and how active I was. When the guidance was first issued, I was horrified to find myself at high risk, so I decided that rather than cower away in fear, I'd do the only thing I could actually control and do something about it.

I've lost 7.5 stones since the 17th March 2020, and am hugely fitter.
I've gone from morbidly obese (BMI 41.2) to just into the overweight category (BMI 25.9) - hopefully within a few weeks that will be <25
As a result of the better level of fitness, I've renovated the kitchen, garden, built a huge raised bed, patio and greenhouse and we started growing veg this year with bigger plans for next year.
I can now join in with my wife's hobbies of walking and (early days yet...) running

From a wider perspective, another kid has set up home with his long term girlfriend and flown the family nest, so life goes on.

There's a lot of misery and sadness out there, but I'm trying my best to focus only on what I can actually control.

Loads to be honest! COVID forced me to face some hard truths about my lifestyle, what I eat and how active I was. When the guidance was first issued, I was horrified to find myself at high risk, so I decided that rather than cower away in fear, I'd do the only thing I could actually control and do something about it.

I've gone from morbidly obese (BMI 41.2) to just into the overweight category (BMI 25.9) - hopefully within a few weeks that will be As a result of the better level of fitness, I've renovated the kitchen, garden, built a huge raised bed, patio and greenhouse and we started growing veg this year with bigger plans for next year.
I can now join in with my wife's hobbies of walking and (early days yet...) running

From a wider perspective, another kid has set up home with his long term girlfriend and flown the family nest, so life goes on.

There's a lot of misery and sadness out there, but I'm trying my best to focus only on what I can actually control.

Awesome post.

I've gone from morbidly obese (BMI 41.2) to just into the overweight category (BMI 25.9) - hopefully within a few weeks that will be <25
As a result of the better level of fitness, I've renovated the kitchen, garden, built a huge raised bed, patio and greenhouse and we started growing veg this year with bigger plans for next year.

Awesome post.

:plus1::clap:

Wow, that is an awesome amount of weight to lose. The missus and I have lost around 7kg each since March, mostly down to long walks and eating better. We have saved around £2K on holidays. I have only spent around £150 on fuel for the car. I am also baking bread on a regular basis.

Highlights for me...
Daughter came home from Canada just before lockdown so had to stay with us for a few months.
We were able to go out cycling most days, covering 8-10 miles, and the weather was great.....
My son landed his dream job as an offshore wind turbine engineer....
I spent 2 super days on Lindisfarne with my wife.....
I took some of my best ever photos on a misty morning visit to Loch Ruskie...
Got to see the Hogwarts express coming over the Glenfinnan viaduct....
Was able to spend 3 days a week during furlough helping with the local food banks....
Transformed my kitchen....
Grew tomatoes in my greenhouse for the first time....

So not all doom and gloom for me....

That's an amazing achievement and it was a joy to read. Your last sentence certainly rings true, it's surprising how much one actually has control over things when you really start to look.

What are your positives from 2020?

LA Lakers won the NBA Finals, and I watched it live via streaming.

Lewis Hamilton broken Michael Schumacher's number of wins (Lewis with 94 at time of posting, against that of Michael's 91), and then equalised Michael's number of championships.

SpaceX Dragon Crew (Demo-2 and Crew-1).

My kids are now old enough to live independent and I'm free.

Liverpool FC won their first Premier League title. (During my childhood, I used to support Liverpool, but gave up football when I became a fan of basketball and Formula One.)

There have been a few other positives for me.

Some positives here:

Got the house redecorated as we had some spare cash through not going out etc...
Sorted out bits of the garden
Got a road bike
Done lots more cycling
Some great shots of Cambridge during lockdown
Did a bit more kayaking
Less money spent on social stuff

Back