What is this...?

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I ran out to my local dark sky spot to try and grab some shots of the Aurora this evening.. My photos haven’t really done it justice as for 30 seconds the sky danced and it blew my mind, but when I got home and checked my images I have this weird ringed halo/cone effect dead centre of my shots. Is this moonlight coming through my viewfinder? Any one able to shed some light, please?

Thanks Andy.

EDED1E57-7FC2-4C5E-B213-0653B9E256FD
by AndyW on Talk Photography

Attachments

• 26C14012-A99E-4317-AB11-F38ED4ACF231.jpeg
    26C14012-A99E-4317-AB11-F38ED4ACF231.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've just done a bit of internet research and there's some suggestion (as Orangecroc mentions) that using a UV or Daylight filter on the lens when taking photos of the Aurora might cause Newton's Rings (or is it Fabry-Perot interference [wave propagation]? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabry–Pérot_interferometer ) to appear in the image.

Out of interest, did you have a filter fitted to the lens when you took the photographs of the Aurora?

Last edited:
My bet would be a filter on the lens, classic symptoms. It isn't light leak as that would be a different shape and not Newton's rings as they are dead centre.

There is a reason people say not to use protective filters...

You guys are bang on, I have a uv filter screwed on. Damn, what a simple mistake to ruin a potentially spectacular shot! (Not saying my shot was going to be spectacular, but maybe I’d get a cracker in the future and would have ruined it with a filter)

I now know.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Well I'd never heard of that one, amazing :eek:

I recall discovering the 'turn off image stabilizer when on tripod' tip, always something new to learn here (y)

Back