What lens; advice please 200-300mm (nikon)

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to purchase a replacement for my Tamron 80-210mm AF lens, which, as some of you know has a slight fault and isn't really fast enough for my needs.

I'm very nervous and confused as what is what and what is good, or possibly poor. Obviously I’m assuming, like most things, the more I pay the better I should get, depending on your definition of better.

I'm looking at the Sigma Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG lens at around the £600 mark...it does macro as well... which would be nice. Link Here

Is this a reasonable choice?

Do any of you have other suggestions for lenses with similar abilities....like a good 300 with a lowish f number at a similar price....doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles...although I guess a quick AF is always a minimum requirement.

What’s about older lenses, say the last 5-10 years, and is their anything worth tracking down that would work well with my D70s.

I shall be using it for capturing motorcycle racing and wildlife, hopefully. ;)

The Sigma you mentioned is very good as is the Sigma 100-300 f4, if you really want to push the boat out how about a Nikon 70-200mmVR, fast lens, fast focussing, excellent optics and the VR is apparently very good. I'm hoping to get one this year.

Colin.

I've got the Sigma 70-200 and it now seems to be my main lens I use for most of my photography, my last trip to East Angila it never really came off the camera body, if you go for one then I think you'll be well pleased with it.

Not knowing how much your original lens weighs, as I was after the Sigma ....until I tried it....weighed too much for my liking (as I expect most fast glass does). Worth trying as I did in Jessops b4 handing over the readies.

Hacker, Davey, thank you, I’ve spent the last hour or so pondering on your suggestions.

And it’s clear...from the little that I’ve learnt; both the sigmas are great lenses the 100-300mm being very capable at its length.

This lens test was very rewarding I thought. (Sigma 300 against a Nikon 200)

Unfortunately, the Nikon is the dogs isn't it. As sharp as a very sharp thing and nearly twice the price.
Although I did find this one on eBay for under a grand.
Add a converter and I'm still gonna get better shots....well possibly ;) :D BYKWIM

They all seem to weigh around the 3lb mark, which is way heavier than my old Tamron which comes in at about half a dozen of CT's wrens. I not overly concerned about that, but I will have a test first, thanks Dave.

I only lose light adding a converter, is that right? No other bad side effects?

That Nikon is a good price, as it undercuts Onestop by £60. Now if only you can get them to deal outside EBAY you could get them to drop the 3% commission EBAY takes ;) Just need to ensure they keep that No VAT/Duty promise.

I bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG (Nikon Fit) last year and still not taken out with me!

Had a play around the house (garden through the window etc) and I can say it's fast, sharp (sharper than my Nikon 17-55 2.8) and heavy.

Think I paid approx £480.00 new from HK.

daveyuk said:
I've got the Sigma 70-200 and it now seems to be my main lens I use for most of my photography, my last trip to East Angila it never really came off the camera body, if you go for one then I think you'll be well pleased with it.
Except I wasn't in East anglia ;)

DJW said:
That Nikon is a good price, as it undercuts Onestop by £60. Now if only you can get them to deal outside EBAY you could get them to drop the 3% commission EBAY takes ;) Just need to ensure they keep that No VAT/Duty promise.

Nice one. :)
Time for a little suggestive emailing I think.

All I need do now is justify the extra expense.
Holiday or lens, lens or holiday...hmmm

I can see the lens winning this argument.

Oh, camping, I haven't been camping for years, Oh and camping with a new long lens. Oooh, there's a thought. :bonk: :D

Or I could just by a nearly new Sigma 70-200 from one of our members who's just upgraded...for only £400. :shrug:

Thanks everyone, I’m closer to making a decision than I was before. :LOL:

Back