what lens for motor sport?

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get lens so I can get closer to the action in motor sport, and was woundering what ppl recommend for this.

Cheers Pete

P.S. i have a nikon d50

Sigma 100-300 f4 can be had for that kind of money from onestop. Its the lens I was going to buy for motorsport until I decided to go for its bigger brother, the 120-300 2.8.

For motorsport, you really need this kind of length imo. a 70-200 wont really cut it. If you did want to go for a 70-200, have a look at the sigma 70-200 2.8 or the nikon 80-200 2.8. The optics on the 80-200 2.8 are supposed to be great, esp according to Arkady. :)

Peterg984 said:
so i your opion is it worth saving longer and getting 120-300 2.8?

at 300mm that lens is fast,
i have however just bought the sigma 50-500 EX for under £400 online,

it is slower than the 120-300, but it much more powerfull,

you might want to try out a few different versions b4 you comit to a lens, see what feels comfortable within your price range, and see if the slightly less powerfull would be ok for you,..
dont foget , you can always crop into the image later, but it will be at the cost of some quality/detail

MyPix

The Sigma 100-300 would be great for motorsport. The 120-300 2.8 is better, but at the expense of cost, and its very very heavy (2.6kg). It is just about handholdable, but it is very difficult.

The reason that I bought the 120-300 was that if I had bought the smaller one I would always be wishing I'd bought the big one and always wanting to upgrade. Now I cant upgrade!

The 50-500 is also a good lens, but I decided I wanted a 300 2.8. :)

i've been wondering about this sort of lens too pete. my use is mainly surfing though. i know i need about 300mm for most the breaks near here and was weighing up the differences between the sigma 100-300 f4 and the 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x tc. the second combo gives you the versitility and a similar range and speed i think, but is it at the expense of image quality?

If it helps in any slight way, most of my motorsport is done with the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for Rallying, and a Canon 300 F4L IS, for the bikes ... comming in the near future is a 400 2.8 ... Just for the bikes.

Mind you, I dont know what lens options are available for Nikons.

If I was playing with my money, I would go for the 70-200 and a 1.4 TC

dont forget peeps, that you loose auto-focus with the nikon fit tele-converters............

it will also reduce the amount of light entering the camera by a few stops, so you will have to compensate,

the best thing is to buy a lens that is powerfull enough for your needs, and not try to ' beef it up ' with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter

it may seem your buying faster glass with a shorter range, but you loose that advantage somewhat with having to use converters and crop images after,

i'm not saying you wont get great pix, just bear it in mind,,,

MyPix

Liberalis said:
If I was playing with my money, I would go for the 70-200 and a 1.4 TC
That's exactly what I'm going back to.

MyPix said:
dont forget peeps, that you loose auto-focus with the nikon fit tele-converters............

Im not sure what you mean here.

Nikon fit Sigma TCs on Sigma lenses dont lose AF assuming you fit it to one of the approved lenses. See here: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/support/tele-converters_comp.htm

Also nikon's own TCs dont lose AF if you use the right ones with the right lenses.
See http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/Nikonians Teleconverter Table.pdf This pdf has good info for all Nikon users who want to use any TCs of any brand.

as i understand it, if you have Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM internal motorised AF lenses than yes the AF should continue to work for most of these lenses, however, for non internal focusing motor lenses it will not work ,

and the only HSM sigma from the list you provided was the 100-300 ( and the 180 prime ) for the more resonable priced kit ( slower than F2.8 )

like i said, i'm not saying the pix will be bad or anything like that at all, but compatability using the tele-converters is really limited to exclusive fast lenses, and the combo is not cheap when you think just the converter starts at over £100.....

just my thoughts

MyPix

MyPix said:
as i understand it, if you have Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM internal motorised AF lenses than yes the AF should continue to work for most of these lenses, however, for non internal focusing motor lenses it will not work ,

and the only HSM sigma from the list you provided was the 100-300 ( and the 180 prime ) for the more resonable priced kit ( slower than F2.8 )

like i said, i'm not saying the pix will be bad or anything like that at all, but compatability using the tele-converters is really limited to exclusive fast lenses, and the combo is not cheap when you think just the converter starts at over £100.....

just my thoughts

MyPix

What about the 70-200 which was the lens being discussed above? Its a f2.8 which is fast, reasonably priced and works well with a TC.

Joe,

you win...............never mind

MiyPix

My Sigma 70-200 F2.8 arrived this morning :banana: Pity it's chucking it down with rain :hissyfit:

Looks like it's going to be perfect for what I need though

thanks for the advice :)

what are these like? >>>> Sigma 70-210mm F2.8 APO AF ZOOM

No its just me being thick again, it won`t have auto focus when used with a tele convertor.

Back